thirty-seven

When I woke up, it was 11 a.m. and Colby was still sound asleep.

Are you still watching?, Netflix showed on the tv screen.

Well obviously not, Netflix.

I let out a chuckle and turned off the tv, sliding out of my bed and out of my bedroom. I closed the door behind me as quietly as I could and walked down the stairs.

I loved being in this house by myself. Well, I wasn't by myself right now, but Colby was asleep so that didn't count. The house was so peaceful when my noisy brother wasn't here to disrupt it. Doesn't matter the size of the house, my brother could be heard everywhere when he was being annoying.

I made my way into the kitchen and stretched my muscles for a bit, before opening the fridge to see what we had. My eyes wandered over the fruits I had bought this weekend and I decided to cut some of it up and make pancakes to go with it.

I gathered everything I needed and measured out all of the ingredients and got to the baking part pretty quickly, thankfully pancakes weren't hard to make.

Once they were all done and stacked onto a platter, I cut up the fruits and threw them into individual bowls, adding them onto the platter along with a bottle of syrup and two plates with forks.

This guy better appreciated my pancakes or I was going to yeet him out of my house after all this effort.

I very carefully made my way up the stairs. The platter was pretty heavy and my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest, trying to get all of it upstairs without tripping. I did it, though. I pushed down the doorhandle with my elbow and walked into the room, surprised to see him already awake. He was looking at his phone, still buried in the blanket. His hair looked slept in - because it was - and it made my knees weak. DO NOT collapse on me with this whole ass platter in my hands.

"Good morning, I made food," I announced to finally grab his attention.

"Oh, I was starting to wonder where you ran off to," he chuckled and locked his phone, setting it down on the nightstand next to him.

I put the platter down on the bed and sat down myself, handing Colby a plate and a fork so he could pick out whatever he wanted. "What do you want to drink?"

He shook his head as he dropped one of the pancakes on his plate. "Nothing yet, please eat first before it gets cold."

"It's no problem, really-,"

"Please," he interrupted me with a chuckle.

"Fine," I replied, watching as he grabbed the spoon to scoop some fruits onto his plate.

After he was finished, I did the same and turned on the tv. Some show from the 80's was playing but it was just to drown out the silence as we ate.

"What do you wanna do later?" I asked Colby when both our plates were empty - along with the entire platter.

He shrugged as he averted his eyes from the tv screen back to mine. "I don't know. Suggestions?"

"We could go for a swim in the pool," I thought out loud. "Or the film room but I feel like I've watched way too much tv already. Or if you have something else in mind, shoot."

"Pool sounds nice, it's been a long time since I went to one," he replied, leaning back against the headboard, his eyes back on the tv.

I watched his features, the way his hair stuck to his forehead. He still had that sleepy look on his face, the one you have when you've just woken up. "Did you sleep well?"