seventeen

"I'm bored, Hero," I muttered. I was laying upside down on the couch, my legs slung over the backrest and my back pressing into the seat. My head was hanging over the edge so I could still watch the TV.

He chuckled. "We're into the first day off school and you're already bored."

"I wanna have a bonfire again, like the good ole days," I replied.

"Then we shall have a bonfire," he chuckled. "Back at the old courtyard?"

"Hell yeah," I grinned. "Man, it's been so long!"

He laughed, suddenly excited as well. "Let me ring up the squad."

I watched as Hero unlocked his phone and sent a couple texts. A few calls later, he looked back up at me and nodded. "Most are coming, they're also bringing a couple friends."

"I'm inviting Emilia and Jenny," I added, whipping out my phone to text them immediately.

Hero cleared his throat. "A couple of the boys asked if they could take some greens so I hope you don't mind."

I looked up at him and shook my head. "Nah, we're young. Gotta take it from it while we still can."

"Good. But you're not touching that shit, capisce?" he told me, an eyebrow raised.

I rolled my eyes. "Last time I checked you were not my parent."

"But you're still gonna listen to me," he replied sternly.

I huffed. "I'm gonna go shower. What time we meeting?"

"Nine," he replied. "Also, mom and dad are coming home tomorrow evening."

I looked at the clock, it was six now. My parents were currently on a short vacation, to some sunny beachy city somewhere I don't even recall having learned of in geography. "Alright."

I stood up from my spot on the couch and ventured off into the hallway, climbing the stairs up to my room so I could rummage through my clothes. Eventually, I just chose a hoodie I had bought at a concert once and black skinny jeans. After taking some underwear with me as well, I got into my bathroom and did what I had to do.

When 9 p.m. finally got around, Hero and I retrieved the bonfire necessities from our shed in the garden and drove off towards the courtyard.

The courtyard was exactly that - an old courtyard. It use to belong to an abandoned school but they had torn down the building with the yard and its fences still remaining. Hero and our friends had been going there since we were kids, usually for bonfires during the summer months.

"So, are your friends coming?" Hero asked, his eyes darting over to me and back to the road.

I nodded. "Yeah, they both agreed."

"Cool," he replied. "I asked Tyler to bring that bottle of the blue stuff you so very much like."

I chuckled. "Hell yeah, thanks man. And that's blue curacao for you, sir."

"Whatever," he chuckled back. "Blue stuff is easier."

I rolled my eyes at him and watched as he parked himself alongside the fence, next to the other cars. Quite a few were here already, it made me wonder how many friends of friends were actually coming.

We got out of the car and retrieved the stuff from the trunk, before stepping through the hole that had been cut in the fence's wire.

"Heroooo!" one of the guys shouted in a way of greeting him.

My brother put his hand up towards him, in a way of greeting him back. A couple other people came to greet us, but I slipped away from Hero once I spotted Tyler.