Chapter 2: Jealousy and the Feast

A/N: I think this is going to be long but I don't know for sure. Read and Review and Enjoy!!!

CHAPTER 2: JEALOUSY AND THE FEAST

The Great Hall was abuzz with loud conversations. The Hogwarts residential ghosts floated around the corridors and down the aisles between each house tables. Ariella and Devon sat with the some other 5th year Gryffindors up at the back of the long, long table. Natalie sat just across to them on the other side on the Ravenclaw table

“Who do you suppose that man is?”  A girl with curly blonde hair from Natalie’s table pointed up at the staff table, up at a man with dark hair and a cheery smile. He was talking animatedly to Professor Vector, the Arithmancy teacher.

“I don’t know.” Natalie said, taking out her glasses. “But I expect him to be teaching Defence against the Dark Arts.

Along peering up at the new teacher, Harry grinned at her. Natalie blushed and smiled tentatively before whipping her head round back to her roast beef and Cornish pasties.

Ariella and Devon exchanged a smile as they watched their best friend blush helplessly.

“May I have your attention, students?” Professor Dumbledore said loudly over the bumbling conversational crowds of student and teacher alike. Everyone had stopped talking to hear what the Headmaster had to say.

“Welcome students to another year at Hogwarts and also to our new sorted students, welcome to your first year as a Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin.” There was nervous laughter up the front, presumably from a first year.

“And please applaud for the new arrival, Professor Curtridge--” Dumbledore went on, gesturing to the unfamiliar man. Professor Curtridge just smiled and gave a subtle wave. “--who will be filling the post of Defence against the Dark Arts teacher.”

Ariella, Devon and Natalie clapped politely along with everyone. “I bet he won’t even last this year and the next.” Devon betted, a smirk forming on her gorgeous features.

Ariella shook her head. “Don’t be unkind, Devon.” She said disapprovingly.

“Well, I suppose it is a little mean to say that at the start of the year,” Devon began. “But look, every other D.A.D.A teacher we’ve ever had either tries to harm and kill Mr. Chosen One over there--” Devon pointed down to where Harry, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley sat. “—or they just don’t last the year at all for some reason. Who’s to say he’ll still be here next year?”

“Ok and I know it’s hard to keep your mouth shut sometimes but you really shouldn’t mouth off to people who you don’t even know. You don’t want to jinx Professor Curtridge’s job do you?”  Ariella questioned her best friend as Devon shoved a spoonful of green jelly into her mouth.

After she swallowed, Devon looked to the new professor and back at Ariella. “To be honest, Ella, I already think the jobs jinxed.” Devon drawled.

All Ariella could do was roll her eyes and ate her custard tart.

-__-__-__-__-__-__-__-__-__-__-

“I told you!” Devon panted alongside Ariella as they raced along the corridors to their first class on Monday, History of Magic.

They had woken up late, having slept in as they stayed up late again with their roommates, catching up and having simultaneous fun as soon as they walked in their dorm.

They raced into class, slipping in unnoticed by Professor Binns. They gratefully sat down and heaved deep breaths. “I told you we were going to get screwed this year if we stayed up that late every night!” Devon whispered so the oblivious teaching ghost wouldn’t hear.