chapter 26

Callie happily strutted back on to the Waverider as she threw her bag down in the cargo hold. She would get round to moving it later but the strap had been digging into her shoulder for just too long.

Her smile only widened as Mick grunted a welcome back as she passed the man in the corridor. It was a massive improvement - it had taken the man so long to get used to having her back around again and she was glad that their slight friendship had began to return. The man was rare to give out his trust, but Callie knew that he had deemed her more trustworthy than some of their other friends.

Bumping into Zari as she headed towards her and Sara's room, Callie decided to pause and ask the girl why she was so hyped up.

"Hey, how was your visit home?" Zari asked, barely able to keep herself still from the idea that was bouncing around her head.

Callie smiled warmly at her, having heard from Sara that the two were trying to work better together now that they'd had their heart to heart about saving their siblings. Zari wasn't really aware of how Callie had also lost a sibling, but that was a story she would share with the girl another time.

"It was just what I needed. How's the head? Feeling any better?" Callie asked, turning the topic straight back to Zari. She was really curious as to why the girl was almost jogging around the ship.

"Feeling great! Fantastic! Ready to get out and explore the timeline!"

Callie didn't have a chance to ask what she meant because the girl took off again, heading straight for the ships onboard library. Shrugging as she raised an eyebrow at Zari's strange behaviour, she entered her and Sara's room.

Her eyes furrowed slightly as she noticed no sign of Sara. The woman hadn't been on the bridge either which was a little strange as that's usually where Sara would be found. Dumping her jacket on the ground and grabbing one of Sara's sweaters that was on the ground, she deciding to head to the kitchen.

The closer she got to the kitchen, the more obvious it was to her that things had changed in the few days she had been away from the team. Not only was there a burnt pirate hat on the ground - something she would need to ask about later - but there was a strangely irregular visitor speaking to Sara in the kitchen.

"You know what, Gideon? I think I'll have some more of your amazing French toast," the voice spoke, causing Callie to raise an eyebrow as she moved towards the entrance to the kitchen.

"You must've worked up an appetite last night," Sara's voice drawled out, making Callie's eyebrows shoot up in surprise.

She hadn't known that Sara had became friends with Agent Sharpe. A furrow quickly covered her brow before she entered the room, leaving behind a short huff as she crossed her arms.

"I hope that appetite is from pillow fighting and not pillow talking," Callie announced her presence, causing Ava to almost choke on the coffee that she had began to drink. The woman was aware that Callie had been trained by the league so was naturally a quiet person when she intended to be, but she wasn't expecting the sudden appearance of her new best friend's wife.

Sara laughed lowly, smirking at Callie who was fake scowling at the women. Moving forward instantly, Sara placed a soft but passionate kiss to her lips before pulling back and placing a light hand on her face.

"You know my heart beats for you," she joked, causing Callie to pretend gag and lightly push the blonde away from her. "Besides, Ava and I are friends now."

Callie shrugged, not having a single bit of insecurity about their friendship. Sara was married to her and if she insisted that her and Ava were only friends then she would believe that until the earth ended.