Ten

Phil wouldn't say that him and Dan had a 'relationship', technically, but they had definitely surpassed the status of friends. They hadn't really discussed the idea of dating, at least not directly, so he wasn't sure if they were a thing, or if it was just a friends with benefits sort of deal. Either way, Phil was okay with it, because at least he had gotten what he wanted. Not that he didn't crave anything more serious. He wouldn't mind if they went on to the official boyfriend stage, but he didn't want to push his luck.

  He didn't really think that anybody else would care, or even notice, if he was spending a lot of time with Dan. He wasn't one to draw any attention to himself. But it seemed people had noticed, the girls in particular. And they didn't seem too happy.

  More than once had Phil caught a group of them glaring at him when he walked by, or when he had a class with them. He wasn't too sure what their problem was at first, had just thought they were targeting someone else close by. He'd caught on soon enough, though, and it was really unnerving, having so much hostility being directed towards him.

  He didn't know if they were jealous, or if they just didn't like seeing him with Dan, but it didn't really matter the reason. He just wished they'd get over it.

  He honestly wasn't too surprised when one of them eventually confronted him.

  It was just after his first lesson, and he was on his way to his only class with Dan when he was stopped by one of them. She was a small thing, barely reaching up to his chest, but the way she was glaring at him showed she was nothing less than dangerous. If she didn't seem so angry, Phil would have been amused by the way she was standing, with her hands on her hips and her legs spread.

  "You're Phil Lester, right?" She said, crossing her arms tightly.

  "Er, yeah..." Phil answered hesitantly. He knew damn well not to take her for granted, just because she was a girl. She could rip him to shreds, he'd seen it happen before.

  "Can I talk to you for a second?" She asked.

  "Oh, I don't know if that's such a good idea, I'm already a bit late for-"

  "It'll only be a second." She insisted, and before he could protest, she grabbed his arm and dragged him away.

  This is it, I'm done for, Phil thought miserably. They're gonna disembowel me in the girls toilet, all because of some stupid guy. Oh sweet Jesus, let my mum know I love her.

  But instead of the girls bathroom, the girl pulled him into an empty classroom, which wasn't that much better, in his mind. He was certain that a whole group of them would climb out from the closet and proceed to rip him limb from limb.

  "So, what's up with you and the new kid?" The girl asked casually, sitting on top of one of the desks with her legs crossed.

  "Uh... don't you think he's been going here long enough to be known as something other than 'the new kid'?" Phil replied, and from the glare he received, it was definitely the wrong answer.

  "Just answer the question."

  Phil sighed. "Look, whatever happens between me and Dan, stays between me and Dan, alright? And, honestly, there's nothing happening, so you're gonna have to go and satisfy your jealous fangirl needs somewhere else. We're just friends."

  "Jealous?" She scoffed. "We're not jealous of you and that wannabe bad boy. We're worried about you."

  Phil stared at her in obvious confusion. "What do you mean?"

  She jumped down from her perch on the desk and moved so that she was standing in front of him. "We don't think he's any good."

  "Not any good?" He repeated. "And what's that supposed to mean?"