Chapter XIV

Every time Dr. Samali came in I woke up. Every single time.

I could physically feel Morgan's bones cracking. I heard them too. It's such a sadistic thing. To hear the one you love literally breaking and not be able to help.

A knock came at the door, "Sawyer, love? You ok? Need anything?"

I knew the voice. The queen.

I automatically stood, even with the pain, and bowed, "Your majesty. No. I am fine. Thank you for welcoming me to your beautiful home. How can I ever repay you?"

"Oh Sawyer stop it. You're family now. No more of that." She smiled at me and stepped closer. "As for Morgan, how has she been? I'm so disappointed in myself. I've been so wrapped up with myself I wasn't even here for my daughter's birthday."

The queen came closer and I shifted for her to take my seat. Even though I know I'm technically her son now I can't help but be in awe from her presence.

"Am I really that Terrible of a mother? I wasn't even here when she came home." She laughed it off.

"Oh please Your- Mrs. McCoy, it's not like you were off galavanting. You were working. To provide for your children," I ensured.

She tsked at me, "nice try."

She held Morgan's hand and Morgan sighed in relief.

"Hey baby," she smiled, "how are you? That's a dumb question right now but..."

"Better than I was earlier. Dr. Samali keeps coming in and giving me a sedative."

"That's good. At least you're feeling better. Oh As, I should've been here.  I should've been with you for your birthday. You're 18. My sweet, sweet Angel." She kissed her forehead, "Oh please don't hate me forever."

"I can't hate you, you're my mom." She said holding her mums hand.

Mrs. McCoy wiped a tear from her eye. She was really just a mother.

"I'll see you in a bit. Get some rest." She kissed her head and walked towards the door. "Darling. You get some rest too. Dr. Samali will soon need to stop giving her anaesthetics. So she can actually shift." 

I nodded and turned to Morgan.

"Oh sweetheart I'm sorry. So genuinely sorry for the pain. I can't take it away."

"Sawyer. I'll be fine. It can't hurt that much."

"Oh love, you have no idea. It's the most excruciating pain you'll ever feel. It starts in your chest and continues to build."

"I'll live, they wouldn't let me go through this if I wouldn't live."

"That's not guaranteed. And it can't be stopped," I sighed, "Why didn't they tell you? How are you supposed to expect what's happening?"

"I'll be fine," she shrugged still not understanding the severity of the pain. Oh how I don't want her to be ruined by the pain.
#####

All around my face was wet. From my crouched position all I could hear was screams and cries for help.

"Someone. please," she screamed and her nails clawed at the bed. When I tried to help her she scratched my torso and it still hasn't healed.

"Morgan, please love, it'll be ok." I cry. I could feel where her pain was on my body. It wasn't as severe as hers but it was there.

I groan as I try to move closer to her. I felt that if I was closer the pain wouldn't be as bad.

"Sawyer," Morgan barely said as I braced myself against the wall beside her.