Chapter 15: Playing Hooky

Homeroom seemed excruciatingly long the next morning. I wanted nothing more than to get to creative writing and see Vince.

It felt weird admitting that, but talking to him had truly become the highlight of my days.

I didn't care at all anymore about Ashley, and she'd long since stopped picking on me. Rather than rumors and cold stares I got nothing. Even Alex didn't acknowledge me. Perhaps I'd become a pariah, as I hadn't figured out how to be truly invisible just yet.

I perked up a little every time a new person entered the classroom. Every time, with each of the 20 or so students it happened, but the payoff never came. Mr. Bartlett had started class and was halfway through it when I finally gave up hope that my friend was coming at all.

I felt lonelier than ever.

I took my chances at lunch time and shot him a text message under the table.

"Playing hooky?" Was the most clever thing I could think to send off, even though I found myself cringing at it moments later.

He didn't answer me all day, and I tried not to stew over it in study hall. I picked away slowly at easy homework, realizing every few minutes that I'd absentmindedly written the wrong thing down or confused myself over simple words.

I went straight to bed when I got home. I must have fallen asleep even though it hadn't been my intention. My mother's rapping on the door snapped me out of slumber.

She opened the door before I could acknowledge her, in true mom fashion.

"Are you going to come down for dinner?" She asked, glancing me over. "Don't tell me you've been up here sleeping all night. You're going to regret that when you can't sleep later!"

I just flopped back down and ignored her, trying to rub the sleep out of my eyes.

"Come on," she said. "I made raviolis and they're going to get cold."

I heard her retreat back down the staircase, annoyed at the fact that she'd left my door hanging ajar. Something about that was so infuriating.

I checked my phone out of habit, mostly to see how badly I'd ruined my sleep schedule.

I didn't even notice the time as I was too distracted by the response to my earlier text hogging my screen.

"Nope. Actually sick today."

There were several bandaged and sick-looking emojis tacked on for good measure.

"Poor baby," was all I shot back.

I picked at my dinner as I picked over whether or not I should have said something nicer. Maybe I could have sent him a "Hope you feel better soon" Or a "sorry to hear that".

He didn't respond favorably or angrily the rest of the night, which led me to believe the worst thing possible. I had actually offended him and his ancestors, and now even his descendants would avoid me.