Chapter 33: Over The Hills And Through The Woods, To Snowflake We Go

Christmas break started the week after, five days before the holiday itself, and just two days before the dance. My mom was buzzing with excitement to take me dress shopping. It turned into an all day affair at an unnecessarily expensive kind of shop.

Gown after gown after gown went on me, only to be rejected because of some facet I found not to like. It was more frustrating than I'd thought it would be to find something to wear. I'd never particularly worried about that much before.

Then I found it. A strapless beauty with a billowing skirt. It was a beige dress with a golden sheen, and all sorts of sequins and beading. It shimmered whenever I moved around in it, and I felt like I was glowing.

When the day rolled around, my mother fawned over me as if I were about to get married. She teared up every few seconds and told me how beautiful I was. An album's worth of pictures were taken.

I allowed exactly one other to be snapped when Liam arrived, extremely unwilling to let my mother embarrass me. We matched flawlessly, and I knew we'd look perfect in the official portraits taken there.

He drove us ever so carefully through a frozen winter wonderland in probably the oldest, least safe vehicle known to man. The heat was only half-functional and it was freezing, but I managed to push that all back and smile. I was looking forward to the dance in some way, even after it had abused me.

          I just had to keep myself from thinking about Vince, Kelsey, and the limo.