Chapter 20: Teasing and a Turntable

I carried a lot of bad energy around on my shoulders for the weekend. Not only was I still angry, but I was also confused. Vincent hadn't tried to contact me once. I knew the phone worked both ways, but I hadn't had the guts to say anything. What exactly had happened that night?

Ashley remained as persistent as ever, tiptoeing around any form of an apology. I took my anger out on all of my belongings, cleaning the house more deeply than it had probably ever been cleaned before. My mother was very welcoming of this sanitary spree, and I pretended not to hear her every time she asked what had gotten into me.

I only stopped fiercely scrubbing the counters when my phone finally buzzed Sunday evening. I took a moment to look at it, stewing in the belief that it was just Ashley only to practically need a defibrillator when I realized it was Vince.

"H...Hello?" I stuttered as I hastily swiped at the screen.

"Hey, V?" He said, sounding rather uncomfortable.

"Yes?" I asked, not really understanding why he seemed so reserved.

He took a breath or six before he continued.

"I'm really sorry if I made you uncomfortable the other night," He finally expelled. "I...I guess I just got caught up in the moment. I didn't mean to freak you out."

My brain felt like it was trying to do its trig homework.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, wondering how he had arrived at the idea that he'd upset me.

"The other night at the party," He admitted, almost in a half whisper. "You just haven't spoken to me all weekend, I thought I scared you away."

My mind finally caught up with what my ears were hearing. High school really hadn't allowed him to outgrow his labels, and I wasn't one of his usual friends. He truly believed he had scared me away, while I had simply been moping over his silence.

I let out a much-needed laugh as some tension lifted from my shoulders.

"You didn't make me uncomfortable," I finally managed. "I was just confused and wondered why you weren't talking to me, too."

At that point, it was his turn to laugh.

"I know it's kinda short notice," He finally began. "But would you want to come over in a little bit?"

I glanced at the clock. 5:30 pm on a school night. I didn't know what my mother would say to it, even if I lied about some procrastinated project I needed to finish with Kelsey.

I glanced down at myself. Ratty sweatpants? Check. Falling apart tank top? Also check. Hair that hadn't been brushed and was currently inviting nesting birds? Final check.

My mother chose that moment to step into the room and start dinner, almost as if she had psychic powers.

"Give me a sec," I said, putting my mic on mute.

"Hey, mom," I started in the voice teenagers always used when they wanted something. "Would you let me go over to Kelsey's house for a little bit by any chance? We have some homework due tomorrow that she can't figure out, and she needs my help with it."

    I started to hastily put away cleaning tools regardless of her answer.

"But I just started making dinner," She said. "Didn't you guys have all weekend to figure this out?"

"She can be a bit of a procrastinator," I lied, feeling slightly guilty that I was dragging Kelsey's name through the mud only to earn a few hours with Vincent.

"Can't you help her on Skype or something?" She asked, spooning some sort of seasoning onto a roast.

"She doesn't have internet at her house," I tried. I knew it sounded ridiculous in this day and age, but I had to keep trying. "Her parents forgot to pay the bill last month, so they shut it off temporarily."