Chapter 34: It's Beautiful, But Awkward

Liam paused for an unnecessarily lengthy amount of time to look at me when we pulled into the lot outside of the venue.

"What?" I asked rather bashfully. I felt my cheeks burn the slightest as he looked me over.

"Nothing," He said, turning to open his car door and coming over to help me with mine. "I just think you look absolutely beautiful tonight."

My cheeks flamed hotter.

"Thanks," I smiled. "You don't look so horrible yourself."

"Do I fall in the neutral middle-ground?" He joked.

"Maybe a bit more towards the good side," I smirked.

The ballroom was decorated absolutely beautifully. It almost took my breath away.
Fairy lights, silver streamers, flowing table cloths, surprisingly not-tacky snowflakes adorning the walls. This place had it all. Even the DJ's light displays were like star streams, set to snow images instead.

"Wow," I expressed, turning to look all around.

"They really outdid themselves," He confirmed.

"Oh my God!" I heard Ashley shout before I saw her. "You look amazing!"

I inspected her own attire, in mild shock that she looked so stoked to see me. It was a short, strapless blue dress with a black lace over-skirt that allowed the hue to show through. In her hair was a flower pin adorned with hundreds of perfect rhinestones. Her eyes popped like never before, and as always, she was stealing the spotlight.

"You do, too," I said, honestly, but awkwardly.

"And Liam," She began, "Don't you look absolutely irresistible as well?"

"Thanks, Ash," He smirked, turning on the charm. "You look great."

She basked in the admiration a bit before refocusing her attention on me.

"I'm glad to see you came to your senses," She stated. "I was so afraid you were going to show up here with Gomez."

I simply smiled at her and clenched my fist.

"And I'm glad to see you're still absolutely insufferable," I snapped, causing Liam and Ashley to both lose their plastered-on smiles and gape at me. "It makes it a lot easier to not give a shit about anything you say anymore."

Honestly, Ashley looked exactly as she had the day Alex asked me to this formal. Her eyes blazed and she was shooting invisible daggers at me. I simply maintained my calm smile.

"Whatever," Was her parting word as she ran out to the dance floor to join Alex, Eric and the girls.

"Well," Liam interjected, breaking an awkward silence that had gathered. "That was...Interesting."

"Let's just go dance," I said, leading him over to the mass of students by the arm.

He obliged, and we shuffled around like truly hopeless idiots until the meal was served.