2 ♡

3rd pov

Travis tried drying his eyes best he could before telling Carson he needed something from the car. This wasn't entirely true, but nobody needed to know that. Carson tossed him the keys before turning back to Charlie and continuing their conversation.

Travis caught the keys and made his way towards the exit, staring at his feet the entire time. He was almost to the door when he heard it open and felt someone bump into him.

"Oh- Sorry man, I didn't mean t- Wait... Travis..?"

Travis looked up to see none other than Cooper himself. They both stared at each other and locked eyes for a moment, not saying a word. Travis wasn't really one to ever break an silence, but this time he felt like he had to.

"Oh.. Hey Cooper.."

"You were walking towards the door? Are you guys about to leave?"

Before Travis got the chance to answer, Carson and Charlie walked over to them and started their hellos and such. Travis was staring off into the distance while they were talking to Cooper. Though, Cooper was paying no attention to them. Instead, he was staring at Travis, like he usually did.

"What took you so long man? We've been waiting for nearly an hour."

"I'm sorry. Practice was longer than intended and I had to get cleaned up and everything when I got home. I texted you letting you know I'd be late too, dumbass."

"You did? Oh, I guess you did. I've been bowling so I haven't checked my phone very much at all."

At this point Travis wandered back over to their seat and sat down, staring at the bowling pins. As he pondered just how bowling was invented and why, the boys made their way over to the table as well.

"Well, you're not children so I'm sure you can introduce yourselves or something. Carson and I are gonna go play in the arcade for a while and try to win some ducks, have fun!" And just like that, Charlie and Carson walked away, leaving Travis and Cooper there alone.

"Damn. Well uh, I'm Cooper. I'm 17, play football, am always late, and hate bowling. You?"

"I'm Travis, I'm 17, I really only paint and read, and I also hate bowling."

"This is weird, I feel like we're on a date or something. I don't even need to do this, I already know you."

"You do? How? We've never talked before.. I don't even think I've gotten the chance to interact with you.."

Immediately Cooper's face went red. Cooper had a slight interest in Travis that really only Charlie knew about. Cooper didn't necessarily have a crush on Travis or anything, but he sure did think he was cute. He also thought Travis was a stunning painter, and often wished Travis would paint a picture of him.

"Well uh I.. I don't know you, my friends do. Which is basically the same thing."

They spent the next few minutes getting to know each other a little better and trying to rid of the awkwardness before Cooper had an idea.

"Hey this is kind of weird, but do you want to go to Waffle House? I'm hungry and bowling alley nachos isn't really going to cut it. Plus, I've been craving waffles anyways," Travis blushed at the thought. In his mind it kind of felt like his was being asked on a date, even though he knew that he wasn't. He still enjoyed the thought though, a late Waffle House date with varsity football player Cooper Jackson? Sounds like a dream come true.