Chapter 2

Levi followed a bit behind the mystery girl, still unknown to her someone was following. The hounds didn't seem to mind, and he could tell. They knew he was there, from glances and such. They just simply ignored his presence. It was convenient.

"Alright, you can stop now." the girl told the hounds when they reached a plain, just right next to the trees. Levi stay in one of them, staying well hidden, but still able to hear her and see what she was doing.

When it seemed she was fine enough to settle down and lie next to her hounds, she finally started speaking. Quiet, but just enough for Levi to make up most words to complete a sentence.

"Well, this was an eventful day, right guys? I met the walled people!" She laughed. "I remembered what gramps used to say--'They're difficult to understand. Cowards staying in the walls, stupid for staying out in the open before, smart and strong-willed making that wall, and forgetful for forgetting about us.' I didn't know what to believe then. But I guess some are brave for going out the walls."

'Tch. I was going to go down there and strangle you if you didn't say brave after the coward remark.'Levi though, though that was only a joke, of course. He can hold his temper.

"I wonder if I'll see them again..." she asked herself, or rather, to the hounds. "They seemed interested in seeing the sea. Strange, right? I wonder if they want to go to other lands to! And the snow and things like that..." She sighed. "Mom promised I'll be able to see it--but that's until I made the mistake..."

'God, just tell the damn thing! I hate guessing and mysteries!' Though, Levi knew he had to ask directly (and expect a rejection and he may have to use force or beg her) to get the answer. Which reminds him, what are the Survey Corps doing...?

...

"Hey, hey... Corporal sure is taking long..." Armin commented, looking up at the already dark, night sky. "Do you think he'll be back tonight?"

"Armin, you worry too much." Eren noted, just relaxing as if there were no titans on the loose that could kil them. "We've just been struck by a group of titans! You should just chill a bit. If he won't be back tonight, he'll be back tomorrow. Plus, he is the Corporal. He'll beat up any titans that could come his way! And... possibly those big hounds too... I guess..."

"You're underestimating him." Erwin said, surprising the two out of his sudden appearance. "Corporal Levi won't 'possibly' beat those hounds. He will. The word 'guess' doesn't match well with him in my opinion." He mused himself.

Armin sighed. "Things just get weirder and weirder... I don't get how that girl could survive outside the walls... The walled people?! That's how she knows us?! I feel so lame..."

"I thought you felt lame long ago." Mikasa pointed out, just teasing.

"I meant that for myself! But that recent lame was for the people who risked their lives in trying to fix Wall Rose, and then she survived without a wall of protection! She even saw the sea..."

They were silent for a while. "I don't think there is anyone who can live a life with out any protection." Erwin finally said. "I know that by heart. It may not be walls, but humans will always find a way. In a point of danger, we'll always be smarter than any animal or titan. They may be stronger, but sometimes brains defeats bronze, remember?" He smiled. "But brains and bronze work well with a 3D Manuever Gear."

They shared a small laugh.

"Don't worry too much, Armin." Eren said. "Like you said, we'll see the world someday, right?"

Armin grinned. "Right."

"Um... Commander..." A soldier ran up to Erwin. "The girl with the hounds is here."
...

Levi awoke by getting wet. He immediately sat up, and screamed when he saw a hound 3 times bigger than him. Then the events of yesterday came back. "St-Stop licking me! I said stop!" He hissed, trying to get of the grip of the hounds.

"Talk about strongest of humanity." someone snickered. Levi looked up and saw the girl from yesterday. "Corporal Levi of the Survey Corps, huh? Never thought it would be you. I thought it would be Commander Erwin."

"Tch. How do you know my name?" Levi snapped. What did she mean by 'never thought it would be you'?! 'I bet she was meaning my height, god damn...' he thought. It was a usual insult. He got used to it.

"Isn't it obvious?" she asked, amusement in her voice and glinting in her eyes. "I know where your group camp. You fell asleep, and I found you. Did you know you snore?" Levi didn't know. And he sure wasn't happy to hear about it. "Well, I returned to your camp and said I found you on a high tree. They didn't want to disturb you, so they're just dow below. Though, most of them are still asleep."

It was, of course, embarrassing for Levi, being found sleeping on duty. He didn't even know how he slept. He glanced below him and found the camp, like she said, set up, with still sleeping Cadets. He looked back up and her, and stood.

"Well, better go down there before your friends wake up." she said, and started her way down.

'Not really my friends.' Levi thought, but ignored it. He went down.

...

"[Your full name]." Erwin answered Levi. "She told us a bit about her family when I asked. She lived in this place where titans never came, though she never did say why. But we know where. I asked if she could bring us towards there. She agreed, though I can see she seemed wary. Something must've happened there. I guess that could explain why she was alone. I don't see why would her family allow her to go alone with only 2 hounds."

"Maybe they're dead." Levi said. "Or the whole place is. Commander, did you ask if it is still avoided by titans?"

"Yes, yes it is. I did ask how, but her answer is a bit vague." Erwin replied, his face showed confusion but excitement.

"What did she say?" Levi asked, though he knew for some reason he won't get it either. And indeed he was right. He didn't get it. At all.

"It's a family curse."