Test

Jiyeon placed her mobile phone back in the pocket of her white coat after making a call. She didn’t know how to feel nor what to say. She was done with her rounds and told the American woman, named Mrs. Stephanie Lee, that spoke to her to wait in the Oncology Department of the hospital. She took a deep breath and walked towards the Oncology Department of the hospital.

Her feet felt heavy and her heart felt like it wasn’t beating at all. It was as if she was in her afterlife as she treaded to the hallway of the fourth floor of the hospital. She found Mrs. Lee sitting in the waiting area and she was surprised to see Jaejoong with her. He was consoling the worried Mrs. Lee and was talking to her as he held her hand, giving her the comfort she needed.

Jiyeon shook her head. Jaejoong just doesn’t give up does he? Jiyeon thought wryly. She approached them and stood in front of them, clearing her throat. They both looked at her in surprise and both stood up.

“Mrs. Lee, I’m just going to get tested to see if I’m a match to your baby.” Jiyeon said coldly. Mrs. Lee sighed heavily as if a burden was taken off her shoulders and out of sheer impulse, Mrs. Lee held Jiyeon’s both hands.

“Please, do call me Stephanie. I’ll forever be indebted to you. The social worker that took care of the adoption said that although you didn’t want to meet us in person, you chose us as the parents… she said you wanted to make sure that Jessica will be in a loving family… she said that me being married to a Korean played a big factor because you didn’t want Jessica to feel like she’s different…” Mrs. Lee was now in tears as she held on to Jiyeon’s hands tightly.

“Now… you’re helping our baby Jessica’s fight for her life… thank you so much…” Jiyeon felt stiff with Mrs. Lee’s warmth.

“Mrs. Lee, we still don’t know if I’m going to be a match for your baby.” Jiyeon said in a cold tone but Mrs. Lee didn’t take heed of it.

“I have great faith that we’ll get a positive result. I just know it.” Mrs. Lee made a smile.

“What are we going to do if you’re a match? Will you have time to come to Connecticut if in case?” Mrs. Lee babbled, immediately worrying about what’s next to be done. Jiyeon shook her head.

Your baby needs to check here in this hospital. We’ll have to worry about the logistics if we get a match, Mrs. Lee. I need to make sure I can trust the doctor that’s going to operate on me and your baby.” Jiyeon said in a low voice, not having a hint of emotion on her face but Jaejoong could see the slight shake in her eyes as if showing worry and anxiety.

“Thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.” Mrs. Lee cried and Jiyeon was surprised for receiving Mrs. Lee’s embrace. She hesitantly freed herself and unwound Mrs. Lee’s arms around her. She cleared her throat.