Medical Doll

Medical Note 

[I figured it's best if you read this onset of the chapter so there won't be any confusion]

Having a bone marrow transplant is a complicated five stage process.

1. a physical examination of the donor's body to assess the general level of health
2. obtaining the stem cells that will be used in the transplant (known as harvesting) [there are several ways to harvest a bone marrow but in this case Jiyeon's bone marrow will be extracted from her hip bone, a general anesthesia is needed and she will need to stay in the hospital for up to 48 hours after the operation
3. preparing for the donee's body for the transplant (known as conditioning)
4. transplanting the stem cells 
5. the recovery period, during which you will be monitored for any complications or side effects

You can read further about the procedure on these websites:

NHS.UK

NYTimes.com

Baby Jessica is set to arrive that day at the hospital. Minho made sure everything is in order. He didn’t need Jiyeon to ask him to do it. He knew just by looking at Jiyeon that she wanted him to do everything he can to sort everything. He didn’t ask her what happened; he was just there for her.

Jiyeon was on a continuous operation spree as if making herself pre-occupied. She didn’t want to be bothered. She didn’t want to talk about anything but purely her patients and surgeries. She was currently doing a bypass surgery in one of the operating rooms. She was in the middle of the operation when Minho’s voice interrupted them.

“Yah… Jiyeon…” Minho pressed the speaker button from the viewing area of the operating room where interns from the hospital could watch surgeries live. Minho kicked out the rest of the interns in the viewing area before calling Jiyeon’s name. She didn’t look up nor did she acknowledge that she heard him.

“Baby Jessica is set to arrive in a few hours. Everything is all sorted out. As soon as she arrives, we’ll have to start conditioning her body. I checked with Oncology and you haven’t scheduled your physical examination yet.” Minho informed her, patiently waiting for her reply. Jiyeon stops for a moment, he sees her take a deep breath and then she continues on her surgery.

“Jiyeon…” Minho called her name again.

“Leave me alone, Minho. I’ll schedule my exam after this.” Jiyeon said coldly.

“Don’t you want to at least be there when your…”

“Go. Away. Minho.” Jiyeon interrupted Minho before he could say anything more. She didn’t want to hear him continue. Minho sees her continuing on the surgery like nothing happened. He could see her shutting everyone else out. He knew it was a way of self preservation. People resort to different ways of self preservation. He, of all people, should know that. There was recognition in his eyes and he just sighed because he understands how Jiyeon is feeling.