Chapter 10

"They're sick? How? With what?" Honeyfrost demanded, padding over to the nest and giving the kits a sniff. They smelled foul of infection. Oh StarClan no.

"Rushkit vomited," Pebblestep mewed, her voice shaky. "The others reek of sickness, it's a common illness among premature kits." She explained, taking a deep breath. "I've never dealt with it, but Feathernose did once. The kits will start vomiting and they will become dehydrated, they won't want to eat but we have to make sure they do. We have to keep them hydrated or they will die."

Pebblestep could clearly sense how nervous Honeyfrost was. "The best thing we can do right now is our jobs, Honeyfrost. These kits need us and we have to give them everything we can. Just focus on healing this kits."

Honeyfrost nodded and together, she and Pebblestep began coming up with plans. They started giving Briarrose even more borage and made sure the kits were eating every few moments. Though each time the kits would eat, they would instantly throw the milk back up. They worked all day and night, both Honeyfrost and Pebblestep going without sleep or eating.

Honeyfrost gave each kit a gentle sniff, from what she figured the worst off kits were Rushkit, Firekit and Owlkit. Owlkit scared her, the she-cat was barely the size of a mouse. I'll do everything I can to keep you alive, Owlkit. The owl's cry rang in her mind once more. No matter what it takes.

Honeyfrost and Pebblestep worked through the night without rest, Honeyfrost felt as if her paws were stuck to the ground and her eyelids were heavy. Vision was starting to blur but she refused to slow down even for a moment. Pebblestep was even worse off, she hadn't slept since the night before Honeyfrost's dream.

Pebblestep's movements were sluggish, but determination burned deeply in her blue eyes. She looked over each kit carefully every passing moment. Honeyfrost felt the long night weighing deep in her chest. "How are they--" Honeyfrost heard Dawnstar's voice at the entrance.

"Get back!" Pebblestep snapped, her blue eyes filled with panic and stress. Dawnstar stepped back as Pebblestep relaxed slightly. "Sorry, Dawnstar." She sighed. "But you really need to get back."
"I just wanted to ask you if they were doing alright." Honeyfrost approached her mother and got her away from the den.

"They're not any better." Honeyfrost explained, her voice strained. "We're working as hard as we can."

"Honeyfrost, both of you look so exhausted." Dawnstar mewed with concern in her voice. "You need to rest."

"If we rest for even a moment we could lose a kit." Honeyfrost replied. "These kits need us."

Dawnstar sighed. "Please, just." Dawnstar rested her muzzle on Honeyfrost's head. "Take care of yourself and Pebblestep."

Honeyfrost turned away from her mother, dragging her paws back in the medicine cat den. Pebblestep was hunched over the kits looking over them once more. "Pebblestep," Honeyfrost spoke up. Dawnstar's right. We need rest. "You need some rest, we both do."

Pebblestep stepped back away from the kits. "I can't." She admitted. "Even if I tried to lay down I wouldn't be able to sleep."

"We can't work ourselves half to death." Honeyfrost argued.

"You rest." Pebblestep instructed, Honeyfrost could see the pure exhaustion in her eyes. "I'll let you sleep for a bit then I'll wake you, if the kits are still the same way or improved, then I'll get a little bit of sleep."

"Pebblestep--"

"Just get some sleep, Honeyfrost." Pebblestep snapped. "I'll wake you if anything happens."