Chapter 13

"I don't know..." Nightheart looked down intently at Sagepaw and Hailpaw. The two apprentices stood still, holding their heads high but she could see the pressure in their eyes. They were waiting for her response, for her direction. Nightheart cast an amused glance at Dustfall who gave the sisters the same look. "What do you think?"

"Well..." Dustfall pondered. "Did you bring prey to the elders?"

"I did this morning and Sagepaw did just a few moments ago!" Hailpaw replied boldly.

"Did you see if Blackstorm needed any help today?" Nightheart twitched her tail.

"Yes, he told us that unless we could grow herbs from our whiskers then no." Sagepaw replied, Nightheart withheld laughter. You can't fake Blackstorm's personality.

"Did you check on Primroseheart?"

Both their eyes went wide, Nightheart knew that Dustfall was just messing with them. "Relax," She purred. 'You don't have to check on Primroseheart, she just moved into the nursery. "I think you two have done great, so yes you can come to the gathering tonight."

The two she-cats exclaimed with delight and purred loudly, running off to prepare. "That was just cruel." Nightheart muttered to Dustfall who let out a chuckle.

"I have to make sure that they're on their toes." Dustfall laughed before going to the nursery to see Primroseheart, she was barely expecting but she had moved to the nursery due to her naeusa.

Meanwhile, Nightheart sought out Rabbitspring who was talking with Haresong. "Hey there." Nightheart purred as she approached, resting her muzzle on Rabbitspring's head. "Ready for the gathering tonight?"

"Of course," Rabbitspring purred. "Did you tell Sagepaw and Hailpaw they could come?"

"Yeah, after some intense drilling." Nightheart held her head high.

"Careful, you don't wanna scare them off." Rabbitspring teased.

"How's Dewpaw's training going?"

"She's doing well." Rabbitspring purred happily. "I was really nervous about training another cat, but she's so patient and listens very well."

"Great." Nightheart mewed. "We should get Dewpaw and Sagepaw into training together here soon."

"That would be fun."

Nightheart and Rabbitspring spoke with Haresong until it was time to leave for the gathering. Dewpaw and her siblings would be missing out, but there names would be celebrated by the other three Clans.

Nightheart and Rabbitspring met up with Sagepaw and the cats of AshClan set out into the forest. This was Sagepaw's first gathering, she missed her first one due to barely had being an apprentice and the second one she and Hailpaw had gotten in trouble for forgetting to bring prey to the elders.

This time, however, Nightheart was confident in bringing her apprentice. "So you know how to behave right?" She questioned her apprentice.

"Be respectful, don't fight with anyone." Sagepaw recited confidently.

"Yes, and you can be friendly with other apprentices from the other Clans, but remember not to get too close, and don't share any AshClan secrets."

"Understood, Nightheart." Sagepaw held her head high. "I'll make you proud, I promise."

"I know you will." Nightheart had a lot of respect for Sagepaw, she felt very close to the young she-cat just as she had felt close to Wheatwhisker. I hope you're proud of me. She thought, looking up towards the sky in hopes that her mentor was looking down on her.