Chapter 19

"What?" Falconheart's jaw dropped and fear flooded his gaze. "We need to get to her! Now!" The tom was clearly panicked about his sister. I would be too. Nightheart thought.

"I agree." Dawnstar said urgently.

"Then let's get going." Flowerstar spoke and the other StarClan cats agreed. "Follow us." The cats broke into a run and started running through the trees.

"Honeywing and myself won't be engaging in the fight." Moonwhisker explained during their run. "We don't have the fighting skills necessary."

"Poppyfur," Dawnstar looked at the old SunClan medicine cat. "Will you be helping?"
"I will." Poppyfur replied. "I still have fighting skills, even if I never really used them." They raced through the trees. Nightheart recognized this from her last run when Rabbitspring was in danger. They reached the Dark Forest border and they came to a stop. "Once we cross this border we will be in their territory." Poppyfur explained. "It's a disgusting place, but we need to be vigilant and find where she is."

"I know where she is." Falconheart growled. "There's a clearing where we would always train. I bet she's there."

"Then let's not waste anymore time." They continued their run and Nightheart's chest tightened at the thought of being in the Dark Forest again. With any luck, this will be the last time. It was Falconheart who took the lead, Nightheart knew that Falconclaw would train him in a different location than where Thornstar would train her to avoid them finding out until they needed to. He's very determined. I didn't realize he wanted to break away from this as much as I did.

"I can smell them." Falconheart announced. "We're getting closer." Suddenly, Falconheart skidded to a stop and the rest of their little battle party did the same.

"Would you look at that." The deep, manic voice came from Falconclaw. They had reached the clearing and he certainly wasn't alone. "The stars have ventured into the shadows." Nightheart stood in beside Riverstar looking over who was there. Behind Falconclaw stood Thornstar, Echoheart, Thrushclaw and a few cats that Nightheart had never seen before, including a red tabby she-cat, a pale gray tom and a dark brown tom with dark amber eyes.

Thornstar had Honeyfrost pinned to the forest floor, his claws placed over her throat. His amber eyes were dark and twisted. "Welcome, Dawnstar. I seem to have stumbled across a sacred piece of prey."

"Get your claws off my daughter you filthy mange pelt!" Dawnstar yowled, wanting to dive forward.

"I wouldn't move too quickly, Dawnstar." Echoheart snarled, walking around Thornstar and Honeyfrost. "I could still have my revenge on you and now...the daughter who took my life."

"Do anything and I'll wipe your existence from these stars." Nightheart had never seen Dawnstar so enraged, not even when Honeyfrost had been taken by Hornet. "You're nothing but a black mark on the Clan's history, Echoheart, and I plan on keeping it that way." Echoheart spat.

"Ah, Falconheart and Nightheart." Falconclaw spoke up again, stepping between Dawnstar and Thornstar and Echoheart. "So you think that you can just break away from the things we've taught you, may I remind you all that Falconheart killed Ashblaze. He has the violent tendencies of a killer just like me."

Falconheart tensed and hissed loudly. "I made a mistake, I lost control of myself and faced the guilt for it. Because unlike you I actually feel guilty about the lives I took."

Shockingly, Riverstar stepped forward. "Ashblaze would have been honored to die to such a noble warrior. He was strong, he knew the risk." Falconheart looked gratefully at Riverstar.