Chapter 15

"Bluepaw, why don't you mark the border." Falconheart instructed his apprentice. "It's a key part of patrolling."

"Sure!" Bluepaw eagerly marked the border and his patrol carried onward. He had really enjoyed training Bluepaw the past few days. She was energetic and sometimes didn't take her training seriously, but when she did focus she made great progress. She caught her first piece of prey a few days ago, before both Windpaw and Snowpaw and she was incredibly proud of herself.

With hardwork and dedication, Bluepaw will grow into a fine warrior. Falconheart thought happily, he would treasure the days he spent training this hopeful young she-cat but he was also so eager to see how she would grow and mature into a SunClan warrior.

They continued their patrol along the MoonClan border when he noticed Bluepaw gazing across the river into MoonClan territory. "So that's where the battle against Echoheart was fought?"

Falconheart nodded. "Kind of," He mewed. "It was closer to the other end of the territory."

"Was it scary?" Bluepaw inquired.

"Battles can always be scary," Falconheart explained. "Especially since I was really scared for Honeyfrost, but in the end warriors always manage to find their courage to defend their Clans."

"Will I fight in a battle?"

"I'm sure someday you will, but as of right now SunClan and AshClan have a truce, and we've never really been at odds with MoonClan. So, it won't be for a while at least. Still, battle training is always good to have. We could encounter foxes, badgers, rogues or anything. It's good for a warrior to be prepared."

"I'll kick any creature's tail!" Bluepaw declared.

"Careful," Mudfall spoke from the back of the patrol. "It looks like Falconheart's ego is rubbing off on you." Falconheart rolled his eyes, his kin was always bitter about something, though lately Mudfall had seemed a little lighter on his paws.

"Don't be so hard on her," Dovepool nudged Mudfall, looking at him with soft eyes that seemed to melt the ice across Mudfall's expression. So that's it. Falconheart thought with amusement.

Mudfall seemed to notice the way that Falconheart was looking at him and cleared his throat awkwardly casting his eyes towards the forest floor. "We uh--we should get back to camp, it's almost sundown."

Falconheart chuckled and led his patrol back across the stream and into SunClan camp. As they reached the camp, Dovepool padded away with Mudfall following her like a lovesick hare. So there actually is a cat who can get to Mudfall. Falconheart told Bluepaw she could get prey with her sisters and quickly reported to Cinderflame before seeking out Segdefern.

"How was patrol? How did Bluepaw do?" She questioned, resting her tail across her paws.

"She did great, she's very curious and eager to learn." Falconheart replied proudly. "How's Windpaw doing?"

"She's doing great." Sedgefern purred loudly. "She caught her very first squirrel today, it was almost half her size!"

"That's a good catch."

"It is." Segdefern's voice trailed off and he realized that she was staring at him. Her green eyes soft as moss, warming him from ear to tail tip. Falconheart's heart began to pound inside of his chest at her sight.

"Is uh--is everything okay?" Falconheart questioned, shuffling his paws.

"I just--" She looked away sheepishly. "I really enjoy spending time with you, Falconheart." Her voice was tender and soothing to his ears. "I-"