Chapter 22

"It would be nice to warn me before running off with some boy."

"There's a group of us, Mom. And we'll be back on Christmas Eve."

My mom pursed her lips in disapproval, hands on her hips. Her pale blue eyes were contemplating but I knew she wouldn't try to change my mind. I think she understood that I needed some space, especially considering that we weren't on good terms anyway.

"So who's that standing in our driveway?"

I glanced out of the window where Dennis was leaning against his Jaguar, talking on the phone. His luggage was already at the airport because he was apparently so spontaneous that he needed a travel-ready suitcase at all times. But despite so, he kindly offered to drop me off at home so I could pack my own bags before he drove us to the airport.

"Dennis Sinclair," I replied. "We went to Homecoming together."

"Sinclair? As in, Andreas Sinclair?" Mom sighed, grabbing a jacket for me as I started lugging my suitcase down the stairs. "Oh, Lex."

Seeing us, Dennis immediately straightened and shoved his phone in his pocket. He took the suitcase from me wordlessly, lifting it into the boot of his car. If he had noticed Mom's disapproving gaze, he didn't show it and smiled at her instead.

"I'll be fine," I promised. "New York is only three hours away."

She looked over at Dennis who lingered over my shoulder and painstakingly, held out a hand for him to shake. "Dennis, right? I'm Marina, Lex's mom."

Dennis shook it. "Nice to meet you, ma'am."

She smiled tightly back, resting a hand on my shoulder and I tried to move away inconspicuously. I didn't need another fight with her right now. Not in front of Dennis.

"Text me when you land," Mom agreed finally. "Have a safe flight. And put on a jacket."

I was relieved as I got into the car, Dennis pausing briefly to exchange pleasantries with my mom. As we backed out of the driveway, I let out a breath that I hadn't realised I was holding and craned my neck, watching as my mother suddenly became very small in her white robe under the porch light. Then, we turned a corner and she was gone.

"I don't think your mom likes me," Dennis said ruefully.

"She's not the friendliest," I admitted.

His phone dinged with a text message and I saw that it was from Jarred, complaining that everyone was waiting for us now. I wasn't sure how they all got there so quickly, but our flight was leaving in less than an hour. The plan was to touch down early in the morning to check into our hotel. It would be Saturday, three sleeps until Christmas and we were due to return to Miami on Monday evening. It would only be a short trip but a lot could happen in three days.

I glanced over at Dennis, gauging his relaxed stance, one hand on the steering wheel and the other turning up the heat in the car. He caught my eye and raised an eyebrow.

"Sorry," I said sheepishly. "Reid didn't mean what he said earlier."

He moved his hand onto the gearshift, shrugging. "I know."

"He told me that you guys had an argument."

He gave me a look that said don't start but I couldn't help it. "You would've given up Harvard for him."

"Yes." Dennis looked thoughtful, a crease between his eyebrows as he mulled it over. "After ten years of friendship, you really grow to understand a person. He's a pain in my ass but at the end of the day, Reid would have given up so much more for me."