Chapter 1 Close Encounter

***That's right, a new book, a new adventure. For those of you that have never read a story of mine, welcome, I hope you enjoy this story. To those of you that have read my one and only completed novel thus far, I'm glad to see you're interested in the story as well. The first few chapters are a little short so I decided to publish them both now. Without further ado, enjoy the chapters, and I'll see you all next week 😊***

The night was cold, the wind biting into my skin. I pull my scarf up over my nose, putting my hands into my hoodie pockets. I blended into the dark night, my clothes from head to toe in black. The lights of the city beamed into the sky, lighting up the dense fog lingering over the city. There was a feeling in the air, and it wasn't just the cold humidity.

I closed my eyes, listening.

As I made my way through the sounds of back alley deals and idle talks my ears landed on something. I focused more, cutting out all surrounding sounds and just focused on what the two I was listening to were saying.

"You can't do this, I will make your life a living hell if you go back on this!" Someone was clearly angry.

"You do know who I am don't you? Not even I could hurt me." And someone else clearly did not give a shit given his amused tone. That's when I heard it, the metallic click sound of a gun being cocked. The amused expression I had vanished. I jumped off the building. I let myself fall the five stories, the air rushing past me. An audible crack resonates as a crack forms in the pavement where I land before I takeoff sprinting.

I'm no flash but I definitely got there fast. I look down the alleyway, cautiously walking into it seeing one scraggly looking man and the other wearing a pristine looking long coat and perfectly quaffed hair. The glint of the silver gun in the scraggly guy's hand had me swallow hard, I concentrated on making my skin solid. I don't plan on dying by gun fire tonight. The guy's hand is shaking, he looks over at me nervously. He's covered in sweat and looks almost as if he's detoxing from something.

"Get out of here kid, this is none of your business." His voice pitch was all over the place, his heartbeat was also erratic. He's unstable, I need to be careful. I lean against the wall, crossing my arms over my chest, raising an eyebrow.

"Really, because last time I checked this was my city too?" Yea the hole 'be careful' thing, I should probably actually take the advice I give myself. His head snapped to look at me, his gun following him and now I find myself staring down the barrel of this gun. The other guy who the gun was no longer pointing at didn't move even though this was his chance. Instead he just stares at me, no panic in his eyes.

"G-Get out of here! I don't have a problem with you but if you stand in the way of getting what I want I will get rid of you!" His yell had his voice crack. You know that feeling, the one you get when you've studied for a test, you know you're going to do well but somehow you're still worried? I was getting that feeling. I know what I'm capable of but there's still that moment when your staring down the barrel of a gun. It's like everything slows down and you nod at death, letting him know you see him, you know he's there.

I glance over at the guy that I was currently risking my life for, his piercing grey eyes cutting into me with a cold steal like that of the gun. For a moment, it almost felt like the guy was enjoying watching me.