Chapter 20 Monsters Under the Bed

***Another day in quarantine another chapter I edited instead of writing my essays that are still due. I hope you guys are all holding up alright cuz I feel like I'm starting to go stir crazy. I hope at the very least giving you this chapter keeps you busy for a few minutes during this weird time. I'll see you guys again next week though, until then, stay safe and keep busy.***

Little footsteps patting on the old wood floor were followed by a little kid appearing from around the corner. It was the same kid that Z saved that other night. I sifted through the memories from what I had heard back then, and suddenly things were coming together. So Kona was his mom, that's who Z was talking about when she mentioned his mom back then. Wait so why was this kid taken in the first place? His mom doesn't seem rich so it couldn't have been a ransom right? Was it an attempt at blackmail? But even then, blackmail for what? What does Kona have that someone else would want? The kid's tight curls bounced slightly as he stood there rubbing his eyes. He looked half asleep but suddenly perked up when his eye's landed on Z.

"Z!" He ran up to her and suddenly hugged her. Kona looked a little panicked and tossed a towel over my arm, I guess she didn't want the kid to see it. Z seemed caught off guard by the hug. She regained her composure before patting him on the head.

"Hey kid." She said before looking over to Kona who seemed to be signalling something to her with her eyes. Z then looked back at the kid and picked him up. "There we go, why are you up huh? Your mom just put you to bed didn't she?"

"Yeah but..." He leaned in and whispered into Z's ear, cupping his hands around his mouth. "There's bad guy's under my bed." I saw Z's expression change hearing his words and she hugged him a bit closer.

"Don't you worry about that, I'll go scare them off ok?" He nodded a bit and she went to step in the direction of his room.

"But um Z..." She paused hearing him speak up again, his little fists gripping onto her shirt.

"Yeah?"

"Can you um... can you stay? So the bad guy's don't come back?" I never really knew how to interact with kids so I've just never been good with them in general. I'm not around them often enough for that to have ever changed ether. But hearing him say those things, I couldn't help feel my stomach twist in on itself. I mean being kidnaped is going to mess up anyone, but a kid I mean, I can't even imagine. When my attention turned to Kona I could see the pained expression on her face, her lips were curled in slightly and her brows were furrowed, she looked like she was about to cry.

"Yeah, of course." Even Z's voice sounded pained. "Let's get you to bed." She walked down the short hall with him in her arms and I heard the door shut behind them. I felt odd. It's not the first time I've known something that others thought I didn't, like the fact that Elis and Lex definitely have some kind of history, but this was the first time I felt somewhat guilty about it.

When I was a kid I would overhear things I probably shouldn't have too, but I didn't really feel any kind of way about it. Granted back then I didn't really have a hold on my abilities so most of the stuff I would hear was just random stuff. This time I had witnessed someone being saved from a kidnaping, plus knowing about Z, and now I was in there house. It felt a bit dirty, but I had also gone to long without saying anything now, I couldn't just bring it up. Kona removed the towel that was tossed over my wound and got to cleaning it again, I tried to keep myself from twitching when it stung.

"Sorry about that, I just didn't want him seeing this."

"I'm a stranger in your home taking up your time, I should probably be the one apologizing." She smiled a bit in response, still working on my arm.