Chapter 10 Playmate

I tensed up briefly as I seemed to have been spotted. After a moment I questioned whether he really spotted me thought, he turned back away and headed inside. Was it just my imagination? It really looked like he was staring straight at me. A gust of wind made my hood flap violently and I quickly held it down. I really need a more secure disguise than just the random dark pieces of clothing lying around my closet. My eyes remained on the now wide open and empty doorway. I considered jumping down to try and see what was going on inside.

I wasn't sure what to do, this isn't typically the kind of thing I deal with on a day to day basis. Usually it was pickpocket's and teens jumping people that was the most common kind of thing. But yeah this, I felt like I had stumbled onto something much bigger than that. Maybe I should leave and just give the police a ring, this seems like it's more up there ally. Despite thinking that though, I wanted to keep trying to listen in to what was going on inside. Other than what I assumed was the sound of bodies hitting the floor, no one was really having any conversations from what I could tell. I found myself chewing on my thumb's nail through the thin scarf covering my face. I leaned forward as I stayed crouched down on the legs, using my free hand to steady me. I don't know what I thought I would be able to see being just a few inches closer but the answer was expectedly, nothing more that I couldn't already see.

I felt a frown form on my forehead as suddenly I was hearing something different. Crying? Who was crying? It sounded like a child. There was another voice now too, trying to comfort the kid.

"It's ok Ahe, it's just me remember? I come over and visit your mom sometimes. I brought you hot chocolate a few weeks ago." The voice was gentle and although at first I thought it was the guy I saw earlier, somehow it was different than I expected it to be. Maybe it wasn't him? But then, who else would it be? That aside, what was this situation I had come across?

"You're... mommy's playmate?" The kids voice cracked a bit since they had been crying but it seemed they did recognize this person form there tone. Also though... what the kid just said... that's, why does it feel like that means something more? There was a pause before the next response.

"Yes I'm... your mommy's... playmate." They seemed to struggle to say that, but it just made me feel like maybe my suspicions were onto something. I could hear movement after that. It was hard to tell what was happening since I couldn't see anything. I gave myself a break and stopped listening so intently on the situation. Concentrating that long was giving me a headache. Soon enough though I saw that guy walked out holding a kid in his arms. The kid was clinging onto him so tightly. I couldn't see the kid's face with those massive black curls of his but even without that I probably wouldn't be able to see it. His face was completely buried into the guy's shoulder, it made me feel sorry for him. I might have felt that a little more too since the kind kind of looked like me when I was young. His skin tone and his hair, they way he was clinging to that guy. Yeah, made me think of me and my dad. I felt a ping in my stomach, lately nostalgia has felt... a bit painful. I didn't need to think of that stuff right now.

From what I could tell, it seemed like the kid was kidnapped. Especially looking back now, he did say 'Where is he?'. So it's pretty much guaranteed he was looking for this kid. I'm kind of happy I didn't call the police now. Seems like that guy, who ever he is, was actually doing a good thing in the end.

He stopped suddenly as he was leaving the property, I found myself trying to use my senses to detect if there was something he was seeing that I wasn't. However suddenly his eyes met mine, this time for sure. He frowned and used his free hand to hold the kids head closer to him, as if to protect him more. Did he think I was with them? I hope not but he's looking at me with such pissed eyes. Shit... How do I convey that I'm not one of them? "Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you kid." I could see him hug the kid a little closer as the looked at me and said those words. Damn it, he was definitely getting the wrong idea. He turned around and walked fast as he headed towards one of the main streets. Shit, if I follow him that's just going to make him worry more. But I need to get it through to him that I'm on his side. I mean, I think I am, he saved a kid so I guess I am right?

I'm suddenly startled by the buzz of vibration against my leg. I pull out my phone to see it's a text from my uncle....

You need to get home. Now.

Fuck, he knows I sneaked out. I sighed and tapped my phone against my forehead as I thought of what to do. I should go home I guess but man I don't want to deal with what's waiting for me. I guess it's best to just go and get it over with though rather than trying to postpone the inevitable. I suddenly looked up though realizing I wasn't paying attention to what was going on anymore. Of course, they were long gone now. They probably got a cab while I wasn't paying attention. Shit... I really wanted to tell him I wasn't going to do anything. I'm just... some guy. Yeah I guess that explanation may not have been better though. I sighed and stared back down at my phone, that text still sitting there. Yeah, I guess I should go face this huh, fuck.

On my way.