Chapter 13 Heartbeat

***A few hours late but I still remembered to post it today! Definitely not procrastinating on finishing an essay- who would ever do such a thing? ... Anyway I'll leave you guys to enjoy the chapter, I'll see you all next week! *cough* also um, if you are enjoying this story and wanna leave a comment/vote I would much appreciate it <3 Ok for real tho see you guys next week!***

Elis stopped in her tracks, dropping what she had been saying but still didn't acknowledge that anything was going on. Which was impressive considering how fridged the air had become. I remained unbothered because honestly, I still didn't completely understand why people reacted the way they did when it came to him. I guess to some degree the aura he gives off might be part of it. Though it seemed like, at least to some, it wasn't just about that but it might have to do with his family owning the school. Somehow I got the impression it wasn't just that though. It felt like there might have been things that most people knew which I didn't. At least, that's the impression I got.

"What are you doing here?" Before I could think of if I should say anything my mouth had already begun to move. I asked the question without having any kind of reaction, before putting the picture down and turning to face him. He was still dressed proper like how I had seen him every time now, a white suite with a vest underneath and a red undershirt. It suited him, the rich red matched his dark complexion well. I'd say he looked even more regal than usual honestly, made me wonder what he needed to be that dressed up for first thing in the morning.

"Family business, why are you so curious?" His tone was teasing, I could tell he was being cheeky.

"I've got nothing else I need to be doing, so why not?" I was being casual about it, but I could feel that at least compared to the others in the room, I was the only one feeling that way. Elis was very hard to read though, I honestly can't tell anything past the smile she has on the surface. Unlike Lex, and admittedly probably me at times, she's very good at making her smiles reach her eyes.

"Nothing else to do? Is this school not keeping you busy enough?" He really had a particular way of talking didn't he. I found my self raising an eyebrow in a way as if to ask 'really?'. His eyes shifted though and his expression changed suddenly, as if he had noticed something. He seemed to be looking at something behind me. He tried to keep his expression neutral but I'm pretty sure for a split second there, he was frowning. That didn't last long though, his unnatural smile coming back to his lips and as per usual, forgetting to reach his eyes. "So what's the next story our esteemed paper is working on?" He asked, walking up to the desk that my back had been half leaning against.

He picked up the picture I had just put down, I could tell he was being very careful not to let any reaction to seep through. "Another vigilati is it?" Another, he says... as if this isn't the first one he's seen. Well, I know it's not the first one he's seen since he saw me those months ago now. It's just the first time I've heard him, even indirectly, mention that time. Elis came up next to him and chimed in, she was just as calm and cheerful as usual.

"Actually we don't know what they are, they could be working for the mafia or a gang of some kind for all we know." Despite both of them continuing to pretend they don't have some kind of history, I can feel the tension every time that they share the same space. Lex does his best to ignore it but he always seems slightly tense with her, where as Elis seems more or less unfazed most of the time. Lex doesn't respond to her words, but seems to be stuck on the photo. Does he... know them somehow? I couldn't read what he was feeling while looking at the picture, and his heartbeat, though different, wasn't giving me anything specific to work with. All I could say for sure was that he definitely felt some kind of way about the picture, which just added to the mystery of Lex.

"How long have you known about them?" I could see that my question caut Lex's attention, as well as Elis'. If I want to know something, I have a bad habit of just asking without thinking about it first. But it was out in the open now anyway, I was curious as to what kind of answer I was going to be given. He stood up straight, putting the picture back down onto the desk.

"Hm? What do you mean?" He was trying to feng ignorance.

"You said 'another vigilante' so I'm assuming you know other ones." I don't think he even noticed what he had said, which was a bit surprising since he seems to usually be fairly careful. I could tell I was treading into dangerous territory, I'm not sure if I'm the first 'vigilanti' he found out about but if I am then my question also touches on him being in the ally that night. I still don't actually know what he was doing there, or what that man wanted from him.

Suddenly I felt my stomach tighten, and I could feel my own heart pumping in my chest. I could hear something, something that wasn't right. What the hell was that? It sounded like a heartbeat but it was... wrong. Where was it coming from? My eyes looked toward the open door. It was coming from the hall. It was coming closer. I don't know what kind of expression I was making, but I was startled suddenly feeling Elis' hand on my shoulder. Meanwhile Lex suddenly looked down at his phone after hearing a buzz, seeming to check something. His expression... it was off, what had he just seen? The heartbeat seemed to have turned a corner, and wasn't getting any louder for now, but I was still feeling so unsettled.

"You alright Sai?" Elis asked with genuine concern. I didn't know how to answer her, and it was hard to hear her with that off heartbeat so loud still. Why did it sound like that? It didn't sound right.

"Well I have business to attend, so I'll leave you to your classes." I heard Lex say, though his voice sounded distant. It was hard to keep hold of what was happening in this room while I was focused on a sound coming from elsewhere. I watched him leave out the door but wasn't able to focus on him. The heart beat started moving again, it was getting louder, the footsteps that accompanied it could be heard even without heightening my hearing. It was coming down this hall, I was sure of it.