Chapter 8 Card Games

I played with the card in my hand as class went on. Most of the classes were just the teacher introducing themselves and explaining what we're going to be doing in there class this year. We got a couple reading assignments but I was a bit distracted for the most part, flipping the card around in my hand. I felt along the ridges with my thumb and coamed over it slowly with my fingers. From what I could tell, it really was just an Ace of spades. I let out a bit of a hum to myself as my eyes were still on it. The teacher talking in the background had become white noise at this point. It was the last class of the day though so I wasn't the only one that wasn't one hundred percent paying attention. I hadn't realized it yet, but my teacher was looking at me, alot. Might just have been the fact that I wasn't wearing the uniform but somehow that didn't feel like the caise. For now I wasn't going to put too much thought into it, I was going to put a pin in it though.

The class ended eventually and everyone got up to leave, making a symphony of chairs scraping against the ground echo into the high ceilinged room. I was among the last to leave since I had been sitting in the back, before I could step out though I heard my name.

"Sai, can you stay back for a moment?" The young but gravely voice I had been hearing all class said to me. I turned to my teacher, unsure of what he wanted but casual about it.

"Sure." I didn't ask why, I figured he was about to tell me anyway. I stood off to the side as the last few shoes scuffed passed me. Once everyone was out of the room it was significantly more quiet.

"How are you adjusting Sai? I know this must be a big change for you." I guess he knows I wasn't exactly going to a school like this before.

"Fine, school is school. The format is the same but the setting is different." Sometime's teachers don't like that I'm so casual with them, it's gotten me into trouble before.

"Well, it's good to see you taking to the environment so quickly." He said, almost with a laugh. I guess that's better than getting a glair. He said nothing for a second, and I didn't feel like just standing here if he had nothing else to say.

"Was there something else?" My tone wasn't annoyed, I was being genuine. Though that may have been lost in translation from my intent to my actual tone, I couldn't tell you. While I was waiting for a response, I got a whiff of something, it smelt familiar, and it was coming from him.

"Oh, no no, nothing else. Just checking up on my new student." He said with a smile. Somehow, it felt like he had more to say, but didn't. I then thought of the card in my hand, maybe he'd know what it meant? I lifted up the card to show him.

"Do you know if this means anything?" His light smile turned into a frown as he got closer to the card, seemingly to get a better look. He let out a hum, as if trying to come to a conclusion.

"Well, it's an Ace of spades but, I don't think that's what you're asking me." I said nothing, letting him continue to think on his answer. "Well traditionally, the Ace of spades is the highest and most valued card in a deck of playing cards. In a more spiritual light it represents ancient mysteries and transformation."

"Hm." I don't know if the person/people/whatever that left that card in my locker had any of those meanings in mind when they put it there, however I have to say, 'transformation' is pretty ironic. Granted maybe they knew and that's why they put it there. That feels like a stretch though so I'm going to say no to that for now. "Is there any reason this would have significance in this school?" He looked at me for a second, like he knew the answer but was trying to decide whether to say it.

"Not that I can think of." I continued to hold the card there for a second, not saying anything while keeping my blank eyes on him.

"Just checking up on a new student huh?" I say with a scuff, putting the card in my pocket and walking away. He knew the answer or at the very least at some idea to it. I take the card out of my pocket again as I walk down the halls that were quickly emptying as people were leaving. Even rich kids can't wait to get the hell out of school by the end of the day.

As I was approaching the exit, from the corner of my eye I saw a board. I glanced at it and saw that it was full of papers advertising different school clubs. The School Journal was up there with all the club information so now I knew which class room Elis was expecting me to be in and at what time on monday. I still didn't really want to go though. However something else on the board caught my eye. There was a poster for a card club, with no information on how to contact anyone, no times for meetings, or even the room number. Just the name and logo, the ace of spades.