Chapter 9: Unworthy

Kakashi's POV:

Our lips inched closer and closer but right before they touched I pushed Obito away. I just couldn't...he was too pure. I didn't deserve him. He blinked at me obviously confused as hell.

"Kakashi what was that...?" I turned away ashamed.

"I'm sorry it's just that I don't deserve you Obito. I'm not good enough for you."

"What the hell? Kakashi of course you deserve me! What do you mean you're not good enough for me?" He was quite angry now. Dark memories flashed in my mind. I could feel the tears coming. Obito walked over to me and sat down. "Can you at least explain? Please? I'm literally madly in love with you. My dream is to be with you." My heart ached as I heard those words.

So he really does love me...

I took in a shaky breath and looked him straight in the eyes.

"During my mission I did something so horrible I don't even want to admit it. It was an accident but still..."

"What happened?" Obito asked.

"Well, I was tracking this high level target and I was 100 percent sure I had him, but it was night so I couldn't see anything. I was relying on the scent and I got it mixed up, because I went in for the kill, and I ended up killing an innocent man in front of his family." At this point I was trembling and sobbing uncontrollably.

"That must have been so horrible...I can barely imagine the guilt you must carry..."

"I think about it everyday now. I'll never forget the looks on the kids' faces when they found out that their dad was dead, and the innocent cry of their mother. I was arrested and tried in court. I was proven innocent and the Ninja Slayer corps dismissed it as a fatality. That's why I returned later. I did everything I could for that poor family but I'll never be able to heal the wound in their hearts or wash the innocent blood off my hands...I'm a complete monster. Th-That's why you should just stay away from me."

Obito rested his hand on my thigh and shifted closer. His warm sweet but soft scent filled my nose instantly calming me down.

"Kakashi you're not a monster you just made a horrible mistake. We all make mistakes. That's what makes us human. You are a good person. I will never judge you or stop loving you just because you made a mistake, because I've made many mistakes myself."

He's so loving and understanding...

At that point I knew that Obito was the one. I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him close, not wanting to let go. I sniffed and wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Thank you." Obito hummed and gently traced the bruise on my face. The touch of his fingertips sent electrical sparks up my spine.

"I'm sorry for messing up your beautiful face earlier. I got angry and out of impulse I hurt you. I feel really bad...I just want you to know that I didn't mean it." I smiled and grabbed his hand; intertwining our fingers.

"It's fine. We all make mistakes don't we?" We both laughed and then we stood up.

"Why don't we try that kiss again because that other one was a total flop."

"That sounds lovely but first let's go somewhere special." I grabbed Obito's hand and led him to the Ice Pond meadow.

•••

Obito's POV:

I was surprised when Kakashi grabbed my hand and started dragging me to some "special" place, but I was pleased with the destination. It was the pond that we met Violet and Fox at.