27: Smuggling An Illegal Item Out Of The Country

Something about the smile lurking on Malfoy's face during the next week made Harry, Ron and Hermione very nervous. Y/N became more and more angry whenever he saw his stupid satisfied grin, Harry had to stop him from smacking the idiot multiple times.

Over the next few days, the four of them spent most of their free time in Hagrids hut, trying to reason with him, even Y/N, who really liked the dragon, as it had seemed to have taken a shine to him, agreed that it had to go.

Hagrid had decided to name it Nobert. He just wouldn't listen to reason, he and the little beast did seem to have some sort of attachment, but it wasnt really one that was healthy to have, the hut was always a mess now, and Hagrids food ran out twice as fast.

"He's lost his marbles." Ron muttered in Harry's ear as Hagrid played with Nobert, giving him a belly rub while feeding him bits of raw chicken. It had barely been a week and he had already grown around three times greater in size.

"Hagrid," said Harry loudly, "give it a fortnight and Nobert's going to be as long as your house. Malfoy could go to Dumbledore at any moment."

Y/N's eyes darkened at the sound of that name. He clenched his fists and grinned evily. "Not if I shut him up permanently." he growled softly.

Hermione bonked him on the head with the palm of her hand. "No."

"Bloody Hell I was only joking..."

Harry suddenly turned to Ron.

"Charlie."

"Who?" Y/N and Hermione said in unison.

"You're losing it too." said Ron. "I'm Ron remember?"

"No - Charlie - your brother Charlie. You said he was in Romania, studying Dragons. We could take Nobert to him. Charlie can take care of him and return him to the wild!"

"Brilliant!" said Ron. "How about it Hagrid."

Hagrid very reluctantly agreed that they should send an owl to Charlie.

* * *

"Ow!"

A week later, Hermione, Harry and Y/N were sitting in the common room, Y/N stroking Coconut, who was laying in his lap, long after everyone had gone to bed, Ron had stumbled in with a nasty looking bite, he had been down at Hagrid's helping him feed Nobert.

"It bit me!" he said. Showing them a bloody handkerchief wrapped around his hand. "I tell you, that dragon's the most horrible animal I've ever met, but the way Hagrid goes on about it, you'd think it was a Fluffy little bunny rabbit. When it bit me he told me off for frightening it."

"It's not that bad." Y/N said. Coconut hissed a little on his lap. "Sorry Coco."

There was a tap on the dark window.

"Its Hedwig!" said Harry, hurrying to let her in. "She'll have Charlie's answer!"

The four of them put their heads together to read the note.

Dear Ron,

How are you? Thanks for the letter - I'd be glad to take the Norwegian Ridgback, but it won't be easy getting him here. I think the best thin will be to send him over with some friends of mine who are coming to visit me next week. Trouble is, they mustn't be seen carrying an illegal dragon.

Could you get the Ridgeback to the tallest tower at midnight on Saturday? They can meet you there and take him away while it's still dark. Send me an answer as soon as possible.