-001

Edison had the letter framed. Getting the letter hadn't brought him any joy. For Edison, there is no such thing as a success, only events that are failures or countably neutral. This, like most things in Edison's life, was passable.

After all, he had never had any doubt that he would be chosen. The letter is framed because of its exclusivity. He was one of a thousand. If there was any reason for celebration, it was that.

Instead of hanging it up, however, he put it in the cardboard box along with his acceptance letter from Oxford and his diploma. After all, Edison had never unpacked when he returned back to Texas. Every time he did laundry, he would fold it into his suitcase.

It served him well. They'd given him a day to pack, which was more than enough time.

~~~

When he opened the letter on the counter, Reagan's jaw dropped in shock. He was leaving, and he was leaving tomorrow. Barely any time to get ready, and Reagan didn't know where to begin. He had never imagined that he would be accepted.

His surprised escaped the rest of his family, who had been discussing his brother's upcoming wedding. The topic bored Reagan at best and upset him at worst. Though his sister was a bridesmaid, Reagan was not a groomsman.

Eventually, his sister looked up from the table. She offered him a soft frown. "Don't worry about it, Reggie. We still think you are special."

Without a word, Reagan left the table and barreled upstairs. There was no point in combatting his sister, not with the little time he had.

~~~

"Opening someone else's mail is a crime," Wren scowled down at his parents.

His mother dropped the paper from her hands as if it and not Wren had stung her. Every step Wren took down the stairs seemed to shake the entire building. When he got to the counter, Wren snatched the letter. The joy of his acceptance had been stolen.

After scanning it quickly, Wren shoved the letter in his pocket. "I'm going to go pack."

Wren caught a glance of his father rolling his eyes. He stops in his tracks to stare at his father and wait for him to respond. The older of the two men answers with a scowl and steel eyes.

"Don't worry yourself, they'll take good care of me in Alaska," even though Wren wanted nothing more than to scream, he decided to leave.

~~~

Unlike her sister, Rinn had always been a morning person. Sunrises are always more beautiful than sunsets, especially in the warm Californian heat. Despite herself, Rinn ran up to Jett's bedroom. She knocked on the door over and over, practically bouncing up and down.