31.5

They all stay there for the rest of the night because they'd rather be inside than locked out of the Complex in a snowstorm, but ultimately, they are all able to go.

Each of them packs a bag.

It's Corbin's turn last. He forces Edison down the stairs with him, as well as Jasmine, where Edison taps Jasmine up to Red status again. It feels wrong for her to be a red again, when so many are not, but she still says thank you to both Corbin and Edison. After all, at least she can sleep safely one more night.

While Edison is distracted, Noah sneaks back up to his room and grabs Edison's book. He doesn't have time to skim the pages. Instead, he goes up to Harper to hide it in the boy's bag. After all, Noah knows that, if Edison notices the disappearance, the first place he will check will be with Noah.

Harper furrows his brow, but when Noah puts a finger to his lips, he doesn't ask questions. The last few days have been the longest of Harper's life, even compared to the days after Claire's missed period, before they could take a pregnancy test. He doesn't want to remember. Consequently, he turns his attention back to Pluto and Rinn.

Pluto's hands shake as she puts the third scarf around Rinn's neck. Though Rinn whispers that she is okay, Pluto doesn't care. She couldn't stand to lose anyone else, and Rinn still looks just as pale and as sickly as she did yesterday. To be completely honest, though, Rinn doesn't mind entirely. She's okay with being protected.

In the doorway, Wren and Reagan hold hands. Wren still hasn't spoken since his revelation, because every time he even thinks about words, he can feel himself struggling to hold down puke. He hasn't eaten in two days. He worries that he will look like Rinn soon, but he doesn't care.

Reagan just clings on to him tightly. He knows better than to ask questions. Not that he wants to know answers, but Reagan knows how secrets can destroy people. He's got things that he has been hiding too, despite himself.

When Corbin, Edison, and Jasmine get back, they all head outside. It is still dark, and the world is not quiet for them. The wind howls, and the snow beats against their skin. Viola's body surely won't be discoverable again until spring, which might not be for half a year.

Yet, they have no option but to keep moving forward.

~~~~~

Ahhh! Almost done! It blows my mind that I won't be writing this story in June. Like, I might not even be writing it for more than a week in May. That blows my mind. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it (as always).