17.5

At the door, Jasmine struggles to look. She glances behind her, splinters digging into her fingertips, as she tries to keep the door shut. Corbin is at her side, and all her fears about last night have been replaced with new worries. She doesn't have time to figure herself out right now. Actually, she doesn't even have the seconds to ball her bleeding fingers into fists.

Next to her, Corbin stares at the screen. His eyes narrow, and though he still tries to keep the door shut, he can feel himself stilling. In this second, he looks to Harper, to try and decipher the look on Harper's face. After all, Harper has always had his back before, so he hopes he has his back now.

Harper, on the other hand, isn't able to see. He is rushing around the room, trying to make sure everyone is okay. In this second, he catches himself staring at Viola while holding Rinn. A deep pain fills inside him as he looks at the cigarette. He thought he had burnt out that side of him long ago, but Harper wants a smoke.

In his arms, Rinn feels herself collapsing. She wonders if Harper and Corbin are right. Is she a child? Right now, she certainly feels small. Being innocent seems cute, but it is immensely frustrating that she wants to be held and also wants to stand on her own. With her legs losing feeling, she can't.

Unlike many of the others, Viola's eyes catch the screen. As soon as she looks, she looks away. Perhaps she has been looking in the wrong places. Perhaps she has been able to tap heroin this whole time. Perhaps what happened to her, what he made her do, is completely and utterly her fault.

From his spot, Noah stares out the window. He is greeted by the face of the boy who has been punching the window. Noah tries his best not to look scared, even though all he hears is the roaring of his heart. He wonders if this was the face his father saw when he pulled out the belt. One that begs another to hurt him, for nothing scares him. Death is only cumbersome because it hurts others.

Reagan, on the other hand, isn't ready to die. There are so many books to read, so many faces to fall in love with, so many other floors to hyperventilate on while on your friends fight for your lives. However, Reagan hopes there is only one person to breathe in sync with.

Behind him, Wren looks around the room. Though he wants Reagan to feel safe, there is so much going on. Above them, he watches someone pound on the glass. He can feel the room flashing red (though it doesn't) and feel his bracelet turning clear. If it weren't for Edison, would that be him on the other side? So desperate for food that he is willing to attack others?

Pluto stares at the screen. A smirk stretches across her face as she stares at the gun. She has fired one before, a few times of tour just for fun. While she is a mediocre shot at best, Pluto knows that the clears don't know that. They are none the wiser to her.

Which means they could make it out alive.

~~~~~

Eeeeep. I am so stoaked. Also, I know it's weird that there is a gun in a hardware store, but where else would we find one? Also also, I may be hit and miss the next few days, because of the elephant in the room. I'm getting evicted, so I have 48 hours to pack all my things and move back home. It's all very complicated and anxiety-inducing, plus I'm having some THINGS in my personal relationships right now, so there is that.

Anyway, this still brings me joy (that and listening to the Pumped Up Kids cover by Egg). So, I shall try my best to continue this, despite my qualms.