012

It had previously escaped Harper that he probably would not be able to tap into the photocopier. To keep things on the safe side, the entire crew heads off to the bookstore. Though they are still hungover, the cold brings them back to reality.

The bookstore ought to be more aptly called the entertainment store. It features movies and tv shows and music as well, but only books are in reach for the reds, and only one at a time. Only one or two blues have televisions in their apartment, and while most have stereos, they each just take turns attempting to tap the monthly music subscription.

The bookstore is practically empty. One girl is inside, who taps a book and leaves while the gang settles in. She ducks past Harper, her blue bracelet flashing in front of him. For the first time in a long time, he wishes he was blue. He thinks about the one book he has under his bunk in the Complex, and how he wished on the first day he had understood it would be the only book he could tap (maybe then he would've tapped War & Peace, which he has been meaning to read for a year).

Unlike the bakery and the clothing store, the bookstore has a photocopier on one side for use. There are still no chairs, and still, the identical lines heading up and down it, ensuring that everyone is neatly tucked one after the other towards the front. It's cold too, despite the whistling of air rushing through the air ducts, attempting to fill the space.

Reagan doesn't mind. He dips between the roped-off sections up to the front. There, he browses the sections of the books on the screen. He searches for book after book, practically testing to see what the limits of the store are.

"What are you looking for?" Harper asks, before he leans over Reagan's shoulder to see that he is browsing Contemporary Classics. "Salinger sucks, but I love Coleman. Did you know that I'm actually named after Harper Lee?"

"Really?" Reagan gushes. "That is so cool. I was named after my Dad's favourite football player, which is less exciting."

While the two continue to pour over the books, their eyes lingering on the covers displayed on the screen, Harper thinks about the smell of books. He thinks about their soft feeling between his fingertips. More importantly, he forgets that books aren't a career option and just remembers that they are his first love.

Across the room, Wren stands in the doorway. He stares them down, arms crossed over his chest. He doesn't want to watch, but he does. He thinks of Pluto saying that Harper and Reagan would be the first couple. He thinks of Reagan comforting him the day before and he thinks of Reagan scared, only this morning, about a girl in his bedroom.

"Viola, you've got boges?" He tosses the words across the room. When she stares back at him, her blue eyes flashing, he rolls his eyes. "A cigarette, Vi."

"I've got one," Pluto's voice calls in a sing-song voice from across the room.

Wren squares his shoulders, staring Viola down.

Shit. She nods, pulling one out and moving over to him to offer it to him. Rather than take it, Wren's body stays rigid as he walks outside. The door swings behind him, leaving Viola to trail after him.

"What did I do?" She asks, trying to think of whatever she could've done to piss off Wren. Actually, she doesn't think that they've even talked to one another in the last week.

"You scared Reagan," he answers, finally holding his hand out for the cigarette.

Since she figures that he doesn't have a lighter, she lights it before giving it to him. "I didn't mean to."