009

It took a while to find him. Not that Jasmine has really been looking over the last three days. Asking her roommates, Catalina and Kyanna, proved helpful. They know somebody, who knows somebody, who finally knows a boy named Jack.

When Jasmine knocks on the door, she doesn't expect an answer. Still, she finds herself knocking away regardless. Outside she stands, her knees jolting up and down. Man, she's getting antsier each passing day without the ability to box.

Finally the door opens.

"What do you want?" Corbin asks her, scratching the back of his neck.

Jasmine smiles at Corbin, and ducks under his tight arm to get into the apartment. The layout is only slightly different from hers, though the furniture and the appliances are the same. Unlike her place, there hasn't even been an attempt at décor. On the first day, Jasmine and her roommates went out to tap fuzzy blankets and throw pillows and string lights, and everything else they could to make their apartment feel less sterile.

Consequently, they haven't been able to tap blankets as summer has dipped into fall, and now winter. For Jasmine, it's been worth it.

"Pluto is throwing a party tomorrow. We invited the reds yesterday, and they are all good to come. I wanted to know if you'd help us tap them into the apartments," Jasmine turns around to face Corbin. Her hands prop her up against the island.

When Corbin shuts the door, he finds himself studying her nails. They aren't painted, which surprises him. A girl like Jasmine, with long eyelashes and a thin figure barely hidden beneath her black tights and cropped hoodie, should have long, manicured nails. Not that he studies woman's nails often, but he imagines that if she and Pluto can both tap makeup, then they can tap nail polish.

"Corb?" Jasmine asks.

Corbin looks up, furrowing his brow and leaning back. "You know, I'm not interested in dating you. At all."

Her hands move to her body instinctively, crossing her arms over her chest. She smiles. "Did you think I liked men?"

When Corbin's face tightens, Jasmine laughs. "No, I'm just playing with you. Straight as can be. But still, don't flatter yourself, Corbin." Though Jasmine's words are playful, she can feel her stomach tightening into knots. She decides it must be Corbin's rejection which threatens to break her smile. Nothing else.

Corbin, however, is too caught up in Jasmine's sweet voice to notice the scrunching of her nose. Even still, she seems to be flirting with him. A girl like Jasmine, one from unimaginable wealth and privilege, could never work with someone like him. He knows what he is to her; a way to get back at rich parents and not a full-fledged person.

"If I help tap them in, will you leave?" Corbin asks.

Jasmine nods, slowly, since she is thinking through every moment. With that, she heads out the front door and pulls it shut behind her.

In the apartment, Corbin leans against the door. His chest is heavy just from her presence, and his stomach is twisting. She's too lovely for his good. It's hard, especially after their conversation three days ago, but Corbin knows better than to leave himself vulnerable to hurt.

On the other side of the door, Jasmine bites her lip. She closes her eyes, praying that her eyes don't turn red from tears.

~~~

Pluto hates lines. She has always been good at weaseling her way around a bouncer, so she isn't used to waiting. Patience is a virtue anyway, and Pluto actively hates virtues. When she spots Reagan in the crowd, she ducks through to stand with him.