Chapter Two

"Freak!" Several lunch trays were dumped over, thirteen-year-old Fumeiyo's head drenching her in questionable cafeteria food.

Gripped by fear, she threw her hands over her head and dropped into a crouch as a swarm of middle schoolers surrounded her and began beating her with their hard-plastic lunch trays. Despite there being several teachers and school staff members present in the cafeteria, no one came to her rescue. After nearly five minutes of being kicked, punched and hit with the lunch trays, one of the teachers pretended to notice the scene and shooed the students away from the heavily bandaged girl with the creepy cloudy white eyes framed by shadowy black veins that stretched beneath her bandages. The teacher looked to the girl with a disgusted look and walked away without offering her any assistance.

Tears welled in Fumeiyo's cloudy white eyes as she picked herself up off the floor and retreated to the girl's bathroom where she usually spent her lunch and breaks to hide from the other students. Her foster mother had gotten a call from the school saying she'd never used her lunch pass at the cafeteria and she got an earful for it and was told to use the lunch pass or get a beating at home. Sometimes she wished her mother hadn't lost her constant battle with her inner demons, even though she'd grown up in a twisted home with a mother who was constantly at war with demons only she could see, her father had loved her. On one of her better days, her mother had carved a pentagram into her own forehead so Fumeiyo could absorb her pain and keep the scar forever saying it would protect her. Despite battling constant demons there were times where it seemed like she too loved her child.

Fumeiyo nearly bumped into one of the popular girls from her class as she ducked into the bathroom. The prissy girl let out a scream of terror at seeing the bandaged girl with the freaky eyes.

"Ew! Don't touch me, Freak!" The girl swung her backpack hitting Fumeiyo across the temple with enough force she went sprawling into a nearby trashcan.

She hit the ground and the trashcan toppled over spilling all of it's contents onto her. The few other girls occupying the bathroom mirrors erupted into laughter. Fumeiyo lay flat on her back on the bathroom floor, head throbbing and tears welling in her eyes. She could hear her foster mother's voice screaming in the back of her mind about the state of her uniform.

Doll woke with a start, still haunted by the torment she'd endured in her middle school years. She'd been bullied all her life, until she got to UA. Though no one at UA bullied her, everyone had still avoided her. Most people avoided her whether she was wrapped in bandages or not. She sat up and looked at her palm there was a fresh scar from the night before, if she'd have just left the wound on the cruel young man, she wouldn't have scarred, but she'd felt bad about hurting him. Her quirk allowed her body to heal rapidly, she was able to absorb the injuries of others through physical contact and channel her own injuries to others. Her body became scarred the more injuries she absorbed and as a result most of her body was covered in hideous scars and the tattoos her mother had given her. They were various symbols some were for protection others were curses, it depended on if her mother was having a good or bad day when she gave them to her.

During her time at UA, she discovered when people possessing a healing quirk tried to heal her, it made her violently ill. Recovery Girl had tried to help cover some of her scars and Doll vomited blood periodically and was sick in bed with flu like symptoms for an entire week. She changed out of her pajamas and glanced over at the medicine cabinet stocked full with bandages. She wasn't on duty today and didn't have to go out in public. Most the time when she had a day off she'd leave her bandages off since everyone at Endeavor's Agency had reassured her they didn't mind and didn't want her to feel like she needed to hide for their sake but after her late night run in with the young hero, Hawks, she felt somewhat uncomfortable. She hesitated looking at the cabinet full of bandages before deciding she didn't want to bother with it. She changed into a pair of black yoga pants and a grey tank top before slipping into a pair of running shoes deciding she'd hit the gym within the agency to get a workout in.