10. The One Where It All Started

[Deenika]:

It was very difficult for me to fall asleep that night because the day we vitnessed was unbelievable and then the topic Khushi started out of nowhere about the four of us being the only people left in the world, I could not stop myself from thinking about it and I didn't even realise when I fell asleep. The next day, I was the first one to wake up, Khushi had to go to office on weekdays and she always sleeps late at night because of which she never gets a proper sleep so every weekend she wakes up only after she is satisfied with her sleep. After growing up, who doesn't loves sleeping and so does Nabi so she too was sleeping while I don't know why but I woke up and was unable to fall asleep again. I walked up to the gate of our apartment and after opening it, I found that the newspaper wasn't there. The only newspaper we read was The Times Of India and that too because of the Sunday editions else we mostly watched news channels at night for some time, amd it was a Sunday and there wasn't any sign of paper outside our apartment. I looked in front of other apartments and none had paper kept outside it and I disappointedly closed the door. I went to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator and boom! No milk, no bread and I recalled that after Khushi went to her college yesterday, Nabi and I had decided to go for some grocery shopping but we couldn't go because when we were about to leave, Khushi called us to her college and then we stayed there for the rest of the day. Yesterday was blessed and equally today's morning was cursed. I don't usually  need breakfast after getting up, I can direcy have lunch, but I surely need some coffee and because there was no milk, I decided to go for some juice, luckily it was there. I sat with my glass of juice in one hand and phone in the other and went through my instagram feed which was mostly filled with photos and videos of yesterday's concert and some memes. "Good morning", Nabi said as she sleepily walked towards me. "Good morning", I said with a smile. "Hungry?", I asked and she nodded. "Kya khana hai?", I asked. "Something light. Log kehte hai breakfast heavy karna chahiye but breakfast is always my lightest meal", she replied."Chal tu beth paas mai hi there's a general store mai break air milk leke aati hoon", I said and stood up.
The moment I stepped out of our building, I got this weird feeling because ohr building wasn't at a place which was usually empty. There's always rush and traffic on the main road, but the roads today were empty, and when I say empty, I mean empty, there wasn't even a single car or even a single pedestrian. "Where am I? Is the same Delhi jaha kal raat ham soye the ya raat mai hamari building Delhi se bore hoke kahi aur shift ho gayi? Itna khaali kese hai? Curfew lag gaya kya?", I said to..... to the surprisingly empty space around me. I reached the general store. It was closed too. I went to a few stores nearby and all of them were closed. I went back home after roaming here and there for almost fifteen minutes and I came across to not even a single street dog in this while, let alone human beings. "Itni der lagake aai woh bhi khaali haath?", Khushi said the moment I stepped into the apartment and I wasn't in a condition to say anything. It all felt very unusual and it felt like something was definitely wrong. "Kya hua?", Nabi shouted when I didn't answer anything. I didn't respond to her either and simply turned on the TV and switched to a news channel. I switched from one news channel to another to get at least a single information about what was happening but all the channels showed Teleshopping. It was 10a.m and all the damn news channels showed Teleshopping which was a clear indication that something big and bad has happened. "Kya ho gaya? Pagal ho gayi kya? Na kuch leke aai, na kuch reply kar rahi hai bas TV kholke channels change kare ja rahi hai", Khushi said. "Dude, something is wrong. Kuch ho gaya hai. Kuch badha", I worriey said. "Matlab?", she asked. "The moment I stepped out, there was no one on the streets. KOI BHI NAHI. Main road was empty, not even a single car, not even a pedestrian, not even a dog. General store is closed aur thodhe aur stores pe gayi, each one of them is closed. Newspaper bhi nahi aya aaj and now this. Dude subah 10 baje kaunsa news channel Teleshopping dikhata hai? Kuch toh hua hai", I said and as I told them everything, Khushi and Nabi got tensed too. "Wait, let me check online, koi store, koi restaurant, kuch toh khula hoga, koi toh hoga, aise kese sab band ho gaya", Khushi said and took out phone and started checking. After checking all the grocery sites, food delivery sites, social media sites, we came to a conclusion that not even a single store was open, not even a single person has gone to work, all the tweets and posts and everything are yesterday's, no one has posted anything since morning. "Aisa toh nahi ki curfew lag gaya ho aur internet cut kar diya ho and everything is banned right now?", Nabi said. "Agar internet cut hota toh mai abhi sites kese check karti yaar", I said and all three of us fell silent. "Ek kaam karo teeno saath mai chalte hai kahi door jaake dekhte hai thodha, tum dono apne friends ko message karo. Let's try to figure everything out", Nabi suggested.

(Guys comment karte raha karo please :) achcha lagta hai ♥)