0.2

I headed to the door to answer whoever had been knocking.

I swung it opened and saw Debbie standing there, "hey, ready for the first day of school, I was thinking we could walk together, you know cause you're the new girl and stuff" she rambled on. All I did was smile and nodded, I didn't know Debbie that well, so I wasn't ready to let my guard down around her, but she seemed nice.

"Sooo..what's going from house to house like" she said, a little sincerity in her voice. "I mean..honestly after the 4th house, you get used to it, but so far I like Kev and V and I'm hoping to make a home out of this" I looked at the ground hoping the walk to school would end already. "I've been in the system a few times, my moms a junkie and my dad, well he's a deadbeat..but my sister Fiona always came through, you'd like her" Debbie smiled at me, but I stilled made no eye contact. "I think I met Fiona once, she came over one time..she's very pretty" I said looking over at Debbie.

All of sudden Debbie got quiet.

After 10 more excruciating long minutes, I finally made it to school. This school looked a little more ghetto then the schools I've been to in the past, but something about made me feel fairly welcome.

"Hey deb, who's your friend" a fairly tall white boy said licking his lips seductively, "get outta here shit head" Debbie rolled her eyes seeming annoyed with the boy, "you should bring her over after school" the boy then winked at me walking away to stand with who I was guessing his group of friends.

"Who was that" I laughed, "my annoying ass brother, Carl" Debbie seemed like it really bothered her. "You seem to hate your brother" I laughed trying to lighten the mood, "it's just..every time I make a new girl friend, Carl has to steal them from me, and then the only reason they ever wanna hang out is for Carl"

I looked at Debbie with sincerity, "it's ok girl, besides, I wouldn't do that" you smiled softly at her.

Little did I know, that was a lie.

—————