Chapter 7

The plane ride was fairly smooth. I pretty much slept the whole way there. I was woken up by the voice of the pilot announcing that we landed. As soon as I stepped off the plane I called Skyler.

"Hey baby I just got off the plane." "How was your flight?" "Okay I slept the entire way here."

"How's everyone doing?" "Everyone is okay I guess. It's just different with you not being here." "How are you feeling?"

"Nervous I'm suppose to be meeting my birth mother at the baggage claim. I wonder if I'll be able to recognize her. I wonder if I'll look like her. I have so many butterflies in my stomach right now. I feel like I need to poop."

"Calm down you'll be fine. I'm sure you'll know her when you see her. Just take a couple of deep breaths." "You're right. I'm at baggage claim. I'm looking around but I don't see a face that looks like mine. Maybe she's running late. You don't mind staying on the phone with me until she shows up do you?" "Of course not baby."

We must have stayed on the phone for two hours and she still wasn't here.

"Do you think something could have happened? Maybe she forgot. I know I didn't come all the way out here to be abandoned once again."

"Maybe you should just take a return flight back home."

"That would be the smart thing to do. But what if I turn around and leave then come to find out something happened that caused her not to show up. I wish I could call, but I remember them saying that they were having problems with their phone. I do have the address I could just take a cab over there. What do you think?"

"If that's what you want to do. Just make sure you call me when you get to their house. I love you. Be careful okay." "I love you to, I'll call you later."

We said our goodbyes. I got my luggage and went outside to find a cab. It took a while but I finally managed to find a taxi. The cab driver put my luggage in his trunk. I got into the back seat. He asked me where I was going. I handed him a piece of paper with the address. He told me that it would be about an hour before we got there.

I made myself comfortable. I took in the scenery outside. There wasn't much to see. I counted one gas station. I guess this is a town where there's like only one stop light. Well I didn't come here to go out. I came here for answers. The cab driver said we would be there in 5 minutes. We pulled up to a small house that looked like it seen better days. There was an old car sitting in the yard with various parts scattered around it. Maybe that's why she didn't come.

I paid the cab driver. He placed my bags down next to me. I gave him a smile and watched as he drove away. I looked at my surroundings. There was not other houses on the street. I was starting to get nervous. I pulled out my phone to call Sky but I had no reception. "Fucking great. I'm somewhere in the boonies and I can't use my flipping phone. Could this day get any worse. Maybe I should take my ass inside instead of standing out here talking to myself."

I picked up my bags and made my way towards the house. I climbed up the porch. I thought it would give out on me. I knocked on the door. No one answered. So I knocked louder. "Hello is anyone in there?" I put my ear on the door listening for any movements. I didn't hear anything. I knocked again still no answer. I tried the door knob, surprisingly it was open. I felt like I was in a horror movie. You know when they scream at the stupid girl not to go in there. I'm always saying no don't go in there. Now I'm the stupid girl.

I opened the door announcing myself. "Hello is anyone home? Your front door was open. Uuhh I'm not a burglar....I'm your daughter. So don't come out with a shotgun or something. Okay." I said nervously.

I closed the door behind me. The house looked older on the inside. There was a musty smell in the air. There was about twenty years of dust on everything. Okay it wasn't that much dust. But it still was enough to make it look like no one lived here.

I noticed a small desk in the corner that looked like there were pictures on top of it. I walked over to the desk careful not to bump into anything like that would have made a difference to the decor. I picked up one of the picture frames. I blew the dust off causing me to start sneezing.

Something wasn't right. The couple in the photo were white. Maybe they just left the picture in there that comes with it. I looked at the other pictures and it was the same couple in all of them.

Okay, now I'm scared. Maybe I could walk to that gas station. I can't use my phone to call anyone. Why didn't I just take that return flight home. Shit what am I going to do? "Don't panic just turn your ass around and head for the door. Yeah head for the door." I said to myself. You ever get that feeling that someone is watching you. Well that's the feeling that I'm getting right now.

I turned towards the door. Fuck walking. I ran to the door. I managed to open the door. I got one foot out the door when someone grabbed me. Everything happened in slow motion. I screamed out loud, I was struggling to get out the door but the person had a tight grip on me. I was still screaming when something was put over my mouth and nose. I started getting light headed. The last thoughts that I had was of Sky. Before everything went black.