Chapter 20

Chad stood there by the corner of the wall, leaning against it as he listen to Jake who was talking animatedly at him. I don’t what is Jake is talking about, maybe about some anime or some computer games but I really don’t care about that. All I care about is how in hell can Chad acted as if he hadn’t broke my heart while every time I see him tears are always on brink on the corner of my eyes.

It’s been 5 days ever since I saw Melissa with him that Friday night and I had been crying my heart out for the whole weekend and stuffing myself with food that I cooked. I hadn’t told anyone about it and my parents are in the impression that my weird cooking behavior was because of the upcoming play. But Monday came and things got awkward and depressing on my part as he literally avoided me in any possible way which is very obvious to everyone.  

Then the play, ugh! The play! I don’t know how I managed to say those cheesy line without wailing my tears out. Or how I manage not to hold on more longer every time he hugs me because the script told him so. The play for the last few days had already stabbed my heart into million pieces even before I could stab the dagger through my heart for it.

“Jane? Are you okay?”

I blink as Beth snapped her finger in front on me which made me turned around and face her worried look. She had been asking questions about what happened between Chad and I; and I was avoiding her questions like a plague. 

“I’m okay.” I replied giving her a timid smile.

“Really? Then what was my question a while ago if you are okay?” She demanded with arms across her chest.

“You were asking about what should be the nice costume for the masquerade ball scene??” I answered unsurely.

She huffed and looks at me sadly. “I don’t know what happened between you and Chad, and I know that you are not telling me even though it hurts me to think that you don’t trust me with this but I understand that. But Jane, don’t bottle it all up and remember that time will heal all wounds. And I will just be here for you, okay?”

I feel tears starting to form on the corner of my eyes with Beth words. I think she is right, I should not bottle this feelings up as it is already drowning me. “Okay, I will tell you all about this but just not here. Not in a place that I could feel his presence.” I plead.

“Okay, let’s go to my house after this practice and will talk this over with a tub of ice cream.” She suggested and I nodded liking her suggestion.

“Okay class! Breaks over!” Miss Lopez shouted by the stage. “One last scene before we end this up for today.”

One last scene. The scene that I hate the most. The scene where Rome finds Julie deadly sleeping and killed himself. The scene where Chad would kiss me.

“You could do it Jane.” Beth encourage me as we walk back to the stage.

I went directly to the center of the stage where a make shift opened tomb was and lay myself on it. I look up to the blinding ray of the overhead lights and with a deep breath I closed my eyes.

“Okay! Begin!” I heard Miss Lopez shouted.

I waited for Chad’s slow pace and as soon as I heard it I took another deep breath. You could do this, Jane. I mentally chant.

“No..” Chad agonizing voice was heard next then quick footstep towards me follows. “No, this can’t be…” I felt his gaze on me as his presence on my side was very hard to ignore. “Please tell me I am dreaming? And this is not my Julie, resting on this tomb?”

His hands took mine and I tense up as a bit of somewhat like a shock of electricity shoot to my system. He intertwined his hand on mine as his other hand caress my left cheek which sends shiver down my spine. I bite my inner cheeks by my body response with his touch and wanting the scene to be done on that very moment.