Welcome Home

Song: Runaway by Bon Jovi

November 21, 1993

Richie Tozier has many problems. His attention span, his trashmouth, etc.

One very big problem being his parents

They're the post it note parents, that's for sure. He hardly ever sees them, but at least they're still in love. It's not his mother that he blames. She can't always help it. She's sick.

Every time he sees her she's drunk off wine or crazy from her new dose of medication. She's always a bit of a mess, but Richie loves her unconditionally. No matter what. It doesn't matter if she's not around or too gone to think of him. She's his mother. And deep down he knows that she'll always care.

Richie's father, however, is a very different story. His only problem is being an absolute dick. The man has never been good at being a father. Or husband for that matter. He's never parented or cared. The only thing he does is leave cash on the bar every great once in awhile. That's not the only thing he does. Another thing is dragging his mother off in the middle of the night when she's too drugged to think for herself.

That's the thing, his mother didn't choose her medication. But his father chose alcohol. He chose to abandon his son. He chose to be no real father at all.

It used to get quite lonely, especially before Eddie started coming around. That loneliness eventually faded. He now finds comfort in the silence. He enjoys the freedom of long showers and midnight snacks and blasting music whenever he wants.

Again, the only real thing he misses is his mom.

The boy is currently spread across his bed with a notebook in one hand and a pencil in the other. He often times finds himself writing out of boredom. It mostly leads to new songs and awful poems. He's always hated his writing abilities. There's only a few works he's proud of. It doesn't matter if he thinks they're bad, though. In the end it's a good creative outlet. He's able to put his feelings to use.

Richie is halfway through the second verse when he hears the door swing open all the way from downstairs. He eyes the alarm clock, which rests against his nightstand. It's a bit early for Eddie's arrival, which leaves him questioning things.

Voices sound from downstairs and only now does he realize what's happening. His parents are home.

"Richie! The house is a fucking nightmare!"

Richie rolls his eyes before crawling out of bed. He walks slowly, not in any hurry to see that monster. Eventually he slows to a stop, coming face to face with the very beast. He then takes a look around. Richie grunts to himself. Nothing seems out of place or messy at all. He's not sure what his father even means.

He doesn't ask questions. Instead he begins searching the house for any little smudge. He's not in the mood for a fight. The boy knows what happens if his father finds so much as a speck of dust. And apparently the house is already a fucking nightmare.

The only thing that's a nightmare is the man that just stepped inside the house. At least that's what Richie thinks.

As Richie searches for any mess in sight, his father closes in behind him. The man stands tall, taller than Richie. His eyebrows are drawn down in a thick straight line. He seems completely unamused and bothered over everything in sight. Still, he manages to toss a tee shirt over before turning around and heading back to the kitchen. To search for food that Richie had bought, no doubt.

"What the fuck is this shit?" A voice booms from the room over. Richie only sighs.

"I'm vegan now. Don't you know?"

The fridge slams shut. "What's it take to get some real food around here?"

Richie counts down in his head. Three, two, one-...

Click.

Ah, there it is. The whimsical sound of a beer can. What a surprise.

"Well I did pay myself." Richie leans against the doorframe.

Wentworth eyes his son. "And I pay the fucking bills."

The teen puts his hands up in defense before turning the other way and heading towards his mother. Maggie can barely keep her chin lifted, which only worries her son more. She's out of it, that's for sure. Her red eyes give it away. As well as the glass of wine that hangs from her grasp. Richie makes sure to take it from the woman before setting it aside. He knows that if it were to spill then it'd be on him. His father always makes sure to pin it on him.

Richie doesn't bother chatting up his mother. It's no use when she's in a state like this. Especially when she won't even remember in the morning. Sometimes it's better to just let her be.

That's why he removes her shoes before sliding on a nearby blanket. It's what she deserves, the poor woman. Probably had no idea where she was or why it was happening. Richie wishes Wentworth would just leave her home. Then she'd be safe. Richie could take care of her.

Richie finally unfolds the tee shirt, which reads New Orleans. He scoffs at the image. Of course they'd ventured off to some big city. "New Orleans?"

"It was great." The man lights one up in the house.

Richie has to bite his tongue to keep from saying something he'll regret. Usually he wouldn't have minded, but it's all different now. Eddie hates the smell of cigarettes. "Well thank god for the shirt." Being sarcastic is Richie's nature. Sometimes he can't help himself.

One reason everyone calls him Trashmouth.

"What? Don't be mouthy with me, boy. You're lucky we haven't thrown your faggy ass out yet."

"Yeah? And I'm surprised you even remembered a shirt to begin with."

"I didn't."

Richie's cheek takes a good smack. There will definitely be a bruise tomorrow.

"Your mother did."

Richie sighs while carrying himself back up the stairs. The feeling is all too familiar, but still so far away. It's as if that part of his life had almost completely moved on. Another thing had taken up the void his parents left. Eddie had made things seem almost normal.

Maybe one day it can be normal.