eighteen

Colin

After dropping Rhodey and Nebula off on Morag, and saying their goodbyes and good lucks, Colin, Natasha, and Clint made their way towards Vormir. Colin wasn't sure what to expect, but he was ready for anything. At least, he felt that he was, anyway.

"We're a long way from Budapest," Clint said to Natasha, she only laughed in response as the stars sped by them.

"Is that a joke I'm supposed to understand?" Colin asked.

"You had to be there," Natasha answered.

"Right, right."

Natasha glanced back at him and smiled widely. It was the first time in a while Colin had seen her so excited about anything. The past five years had been rough on her. She had lost everything, everyone. Now, she had a chance to bring them all back. Whatever it takes.

🕷🕷🕷

Vormir was... interesting, to say the very least. When they landed, Colin noticed the orange tint of the sky, although he didn't spot a sun in the sky. "Wow..." Clint said. "Under different circumstances, this would be totally awesome."

Colin couldn't help but agree. He and Clint weren't so different. They were both looking to get their families back, their kids, specifically. Colin was glad he could say he didn't turn to a life of assassination in the wake of the snap, though.

The mountain they had to climb was not fun. As they began their ascent, Colin groaned. "What's wrong? Having trouble keeping up, old man?" Natasha joked from ahead.

"I never liked hiking," Colin answered. "Besides, I don't know if you noticed, but I'm not exactly a super spy like the two of you."

"What does being a super spy have to do with climbing a mountain?" Clint asked.

"I don't know, you two are probably more in shape than I am."

"Fair enough."

As they neared the top of the mountain, it was obvious that the three of them were feeling pretty fed up with the mission they had been assigned to. "Bet the raccoon didn't have to climb a mountain," Natasha huffed out.

"Technically, he's not a raccoon, you know," Clint replied.

"Whatever, he eats garbage," Natasha said.

"So does Thor." Colin murmured, but was loud enough that he heard Clint laugh slightly at his joke.

They reached the top of the mountain and were greeted by a... floating black cloth? "Welcome," It's voice was soft, and somewhat creepy. All three of them drew their weapons, Clint going for his bow, and Natasha and Colin reaching for their guns. "Natasha, daughter of Ivan. Clint, son of Edith. Colin, son of Raymond."

"Who are you?" Natasha asked, not lowering her gun.

"Consider me a guide," The voice answered. It was only then that Colin noticed that beneath the hood was a red face. Weird. "To you, and to all who seek the Soul Stone."

"Oh good, you tell us where it is. Then we'll be on our way," Colin said.

"Ah, liebchen... if only it were that easy."

The mysterious figure began to float away, so the three of them exchanged a hesitant glance before deciding their best chance was to follow him. The figure led them up to the very top of the mountain, where two giant columns sat parallel to one another, overlooking a massive cliff. Colin gazed out, taking in the view. It was terrifyingly beautiful.

"What you seek lies in front of you... as does what you fear," The red figure said.

Natasha gazed over the edge of the cliff. "The stone is down there," She figured.