Sometimes the Quiet is Violent

"We are only haunted by the things we refuse to accept"
-via Bridget Devoue

▬▬ι══════════════ι▬▬

Hogwarts, December 1977

Infamous dark wizard and mass murderer, Tom Riddle, has evaded capture, yet again, as he escapes an attack in Nottingham yesterday afternoon. At three o'clock sharp, Tom Riddle and his followers, more commonly referred to as Death Eaters, initiated an attack on a small primary school for Muggle children. Magical Law Enforcement was alerted by a passing by wizard, who wishes to remain anonymous, and arrived at the scene as the enemies tried to make their escape.

In the midst of chaos, two out of the suspected seven Death Eaters were captured (names have not been released to the general public) but, unfortunately, Riddle himself managed to escape via Portkey. Two of the Ministry's finest Auror's were lost in the duel – Augustus Randolph and Carolyn Carne – however, no Muggles were injured in the incident.

It is no secret that the Ministry has had it's misfortune regarding Tom Riddle's regime. In 1975, renowned Minister for Magic, Eugenia Jenkins, resigned from office with no formal comment to the public.  It was no secret the community saw her as an inadequate leader against the acts of violence and hate rallied by Riddle and his Death Eaters. New Minister, Harold Minchum, is regarded as the Hard Liner we need in order to contain Riddle and douse the flames of his message.

In the two years of his office hold, Minchum has reduced the number of Dementor attacks by nine percent alone. His new administrations and policies regarding Magical Law Enforcement have seen a mass reduction in Death Eater attacks since September. However, one must wonder this:

Will Minchum's policies be able to contain a new wave of species-centrism? How many Dementors must be captured before Riddle's power loosens on the confines of Britain? How many more must die to see this war ended before it truly starts?

But the true question is: what is the Ministry willing to risk in order to put a stop to Riddle and his Death Eaters?

More on page 9.

"You're getting gray hairs, Moony," James nudged Remus in the ribcage gently, pulling him from his intense staring contest with Peter's copy of the Daily Prophet.

"Oh," he muttered. "Sorry. Just reading."

Remus returned to his cold food, using the end of his fork to push around the mashed potatoes and roast he'd had no appetite for in the first place. He was hoping it would distract Sirius from the fact that he'd not eaten in quite some time; this hope was futile. His will to eat always waned before and after transformations, but it wasn't the full moon bothering him. It was the new attacks. Nottingham, Bristol, Chester, and even London had been attacked jby Tom Riddle. It was pure paranoia, Remus understood, but the looming sense of doom that had situated itself in his chest refused to wither and die any time soon.

Even though they were in Scotland, and even though Remus really doubted Riddle would come near such a small village like Walter's Ash, he worried. Thirteen years ago, his parents had let their guard down, and he was the consequence. Thirteen years later, with no signs of his lucid attacker making a return, Remus wondered if they'd slipped into ease once again. Sirius tried to reason with him, told him that Lyall was up to date with all the information necessary to ensure he could protect his family, but Remus doubted that.

If he didn't have any files on Remus, would he have files on Riddle? Of course he would, he thought bitterly. Riddle is a part of his job, not a familial attachment. There are more personal sentiments in his line of duty rather than his own son.