An Idea

"And when you least expect it. Nature has cunning ways of finding your weakest spot."

-André Aciman, Call Me by Your Name

▬▬ι══════════════ι▬▬

Hogwarts, October 1972 (Third Year, yes we jumped forward!)

What had been a beautifully devised plan to hex the Slytherin Prefects hair into serpents turned into a terrible fiasco that earned Sirius and James three nights of detention with Slughorn – the former 's worst nightmare. Slughorn had been Sirius's least favorite teacher thus far, mainly because the old man would choke himself on the ingredients in his cabinet just to earn the praise of Orion Black. It was not just humiliating but annoying. For nearly a year, Sirius had asked Professor McGonagall to test out of potions with advanced courses to substitute. Being the prude she could be, she denied the request because every student would have that option if I let you test out. Stupid Gryffindor's and their sense of fairness.

However, the Potions Professor treated Sirius better than most students, flattered him whenever possible, and hardly reprimanded him. Sirius used this to his advantage quite often. From extending due dates to slacking on busywork, down to the nitty-gritty of weaseling out of detention for the third time in a week, Sirius played his cards well with Slughorn.

Nevertheless, these slips were made with an empty promise to put in a good word or two with the great and mighty Orion (sometimes Sirius wondered just how important his father was considering he never left his office) and, perhaps, if she's in a good mood, Walburga. Little did pudgy Horace know that Sirius had no actual inclination to look either one of his relatives in the face, let alone hold an entire conversation with them about a teacher who did nothing but annoy him.

Sirius didn't say that to Horace! That wouldn't just blow his cover, but it would eliminate any future favoritism. Even though he didn't like Slughorn, Sirius adored the special treatment. Under the circumstances, it wasn't such a bad thing to be birthed by two of the world's most prehistoric and psychotic creatures.

James swore to his best friend that he'd kick his arse upon return to their dorms, but Sirius knew the kid wouldn't. So when James finished scrubbing the Potion's equipment, Sirius would be fast asleep in his bed or on the couch. His friend had a strict "Don't wake up your mates before dawn" policy, enforced after Remus took it upon himself to prepare the two for Quidditch season with rigorous schedules. Not that Sirius blamed James. Remus meant well, but they were up before half of the grounds had even considered stirring in their beds.

Sirius quickened his pace, eyes scanning the castle floors for a towering Werewolf boy with too many books crammed in his bag. It was late, and dinner had already been served. There was always the library to check, or maybe a hallway near the Hufflepuff common room? Despite having a very stern conversation, Julienne and Evans seemed set on their mission to steal Remus away from his friends. Didn't they have anything else to worry about, like their hair and makeup or buying clothes? Why was it that all those two wanted to do was spend every pause in the day under his friend's nose?

It drove Sirius barking mad some days. Especially Julienne. Being in another house means staying with those people, not table jumping during every meal and greeting everyone like a tour guide. Not everyone wanted to see her bright, white, warm smile or hear her condescending humor. Remus apparently fancied her and Evans enough to be conjoined at the hip, disappearing all the time to spend "quality time with the girls."

Sirius could barf. Though he'd never admit it, Sirius hated that he didn't get to see Remus as much as he once did. It was a stretch to say they were best friends, but he thought he mattered a little more than that to his roommate. But, of course, this would pass, and Sirius would busy himself with James and Peter. Getting jealous of two harlots like Evans and Julienne was futile.