Chapter 5

☽

All I could feel in the air was tension.. and hunger. As they neared us, the more I felt restless. All I wanted to do is just to rip off their heads and I knew Jasper sensed that when he firmly hooked his arm around my waist, preventing me from causing something that I will surely regret after.

"I believe this belongs to you." A man with dreadlocks and an unbuttoned orange shirt said to us as he raised his hand that held a baseball. Before anyone could even answer, he tossed the ball casually to Carlisle who easily caught it.

"Thank you." He said politely to the man, turning the baseball to him. "I'm Laurent." The man said before turning to the man and woman beside him, "This is Victoria and James."

I bit my lip as James intently looked at Bella. "He's looking at you. Keep your head down, don't make any eye contact with him." I said to Bella through my thoughts.

"I'm scared." She replied back shakily, "Don't be, it's going to be alright." I said, trying to reassure her.

"I'm Carlisle and this is my family" Carlisle said and gestured his head towards us making Laurent and the others look at us.

"I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us." Carlisle said, distracting the three from looking at Bella.

"Edward, take Bella out of here as soon as possible. James has his eyes on her." I told Edward through my thoughts making his brows furrow. "I know." He replied back, almost like a growl.

"Our apologies. We didn't realize the territory had been claimed." Laurent said, almost sounding innocent but you'd be as good as dead if you'll be fooled by them. "Yes, well, we maintain a permanent residence." Carlisle replied.

"Really?" Laurent asked as the three of them exchanged a look of surprise, "Well, we won't be a problem any more. We were just passing through."

"The humans were tracking us, but we led them East-" Victoria said with a smirk on her face. Huh, it was as if we owed her something. "You should be safe."

"Excellent." Carlisle said, trying to end the conversation to get Bella the hell out of here.

"So, could you use three more players?" Laurent asked making us look at Carlisle who had a hard look on his face. Jasper pulled me closer to him, a small deep growl came out of the back of his throat once he saw James locked his gaze on me.

"Oh, come on. Just one game." Laurent said with a smile so vicious. I shrugged in disgust as I continue to hear their thoughts. I blocked them from my mind and sent Carlisle a message.

"We need to get Bella out of here. They're just waiting for the right time to attack." I said to him through my mind. I watched as Carlisle turned back a bit to acknowledge what I told him.