five

jupiter aria beauliu

i brush out the eyebrow pigment, leaning in closer towards the mirror as i define my sparse brows.

"watching me like this is creepy, ya know?" i hum out as i place my eyebrow pencil down and picking up my mascara wand.

"art is meant to be viewed." spen shrugs as he pushes himself off of the doorway of the bathroom and sitting on the toilet, leaning his chin on his hand as he continues to watch me.

i stop for a moment, biting back my smile as my heart thumps in my chest and the blood rushes to my cheeks. he had come a long way from the germaphobe genius who was afraid to hold my hand and stuttered whenever he called me pretty.

"i can't believe i got so lucky to have a man like you." i sigh contently as i swipe a light layer of mascara over my eyelashes, completing my routine.

"well, you're beautiful. you're intelligent. you're so incredibly driven. you're the kindest woman i've ever met. you've always been destined for love. i'm just the passably attractive awkward genius who wouldn't have ever spoken to you had i not ended up in your office after...everything." his voice trails off as he begins to twiddle him thumbs.

i step away from the mirror and gently push spen's head to face mine and seating myself onto his lap. he wraps his right arm behind my waist and places his left hand on my thigh. i run my fingers gently through his smooth hair, scratching lightly at his head. i place my hand on his cheek as he instinctually leans into my palm. kissing the edge of my hand. our eyes meet and i fall into a trance. becoming a victim to his gentle eyes that pull me in like a tidal wave. his freshly shaven cheeks providing a smooth canvas underneath my fingertips as i begin to lightly trace his his jaw bone. soaking in every detail of his face as if it was our last moment together. leaning in, i place a gentle kiss on his lips before backing away from him. he gives my thigh a small squeeze before speaking.

"i don't deserve you."

"spencer reid. you are the toughest, smartest, bravest man i've ever met. you are so strong it's ridiculous. any human being who's seen and experienced the things that you have would've broken by now. and sure, you had a little slip up along the way. but you overcame it. you're so compassionate and so kind. such a good head on your shoulders, in both terms of knowledge and moral compass. and not to self-incriminate, but i've met a lot of men. a lot of people. and out of everyone i've ever met, i'd pick you without a doubt. it'll always be you. i picked you, and you picked me. we deserve each other. i was never destined for love. i was just destined for you. without you, there would've been no love in my path and of that i'm sure. i would've never found anyone who learned all about astrology because i said i liked the stars on our first date. and you would've never met someone who...what exactly do i contribute here?" i ask, pursing my lips as i cock my head to the side.

he chuckles, shaking his head.

"you make me happy. i don't have to hide behind my brain with you. i don't have to worry about hiding things or pretending to be put together. i can just be spencer. i can just be a man who loves a woman. i can feel normal for once....you're also a really good cook and i've once set toast on fire"

"well there ya go. you would've never met someone who could cook for you and make you feel normal. ew. that sounds boring, i mean cook for you? what is this, the 50s? can you pick something cooler than that?"

he laughs, shaking his head. he then glances down at his watch and pats my hip, signaling for me to get off.

"we gotta go. we're gonna be late."

"i'll drive, dr. reid."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the team begins spitballing different ideas as i stare at the photos of the victims. the chords punctured onto their wrists, to be specific. the longer i stare at them, a shock runs through my body and i shoot up from my chair. the chair rolls back into the wall behind me, making everyone stop and stare.