nine

jupiter aria beauliu

the pounding in my head grew the more i came to my senses. panic fled through my veins as i fully awoke, recalling the events that took place before. the soreness in my neck becoming more and more evident the longer i stay sitting up. i looked down at my hands and saw a black square cut diamond where spencer's circle three stone tiffany ring once sat. and as if on cue, i could hear him coming up the stairs and i had racked my brain of ways to take this situation. i could recall him repeatedly telling me that i'd forget. that soon we could be happy. so i quickly chose a plan of action before he reached the top of the stairs. i quickly sat up, messing up my hair slightly and looking around the room, an over exaggerated look of confusion on my face. he opens the door, a gentle smile on his face.

"you're awake. it's almost been four days. three and half but whatever. how do you feel?" he says quietly, setting down two cups of tea onto the bedside counter.

four days already? jesus. just breathe, jupiter. everything will be okay.

"w-where am i? who are you?" i ask, scooting away from him slightly.

his face noticeably brightens, before he chuckles, grabbing my hand. this was when i knew, i had chosen the right path.

"baby. it's colin. your fiancee. you took a nasty fall down in the backyard and it really scared me." he says, rubbing his thumb over my hand, reaching forward to touch the bump on my head.

i flinch backwards and he sighs.

"that's okay, babydoll. you'll be okay." he says, gently patting my knee.

"is this our house? i don't remember it" i ask, playing into my loss of memory.

"sort of. it's our new house. don't you like it? it's everything you wanted, remember?" he asks, leaning into me.

i think back to our many conversations. and i remember reminiscing with casey one night at the music bar. colin had sat next to me, intently listening in as casey and i talked about our childhood adventures in her childhood home. i had extended on the conversation about how her house was my dream home. my favorite place to be in all of north carolina.

"yeah...i remember. i told you about it on...a date? maybe?"

"yeah! yes. a date." he lets out excitedly, his face brightening with each word i said.

he had truly believed that whatever he was injecting into me had erased my memory. it was clear which one of us had become distracted in school. i look to the two cups of tea that had been placed on the bedside table and i point to one. as i extend my arm, i notice new needle marks in my arm and my throat closes up slightly.

"ummm...can i?" i ask, motioning to the cup closest to me.

"oh! yeah. here, lemon honey. just like you like." he smiles, carefully handing me the mug.

i take a sip, closing my eyes and enjoying the warmth cascading down my throat. as terrible as this situation was, i had to hand it to him, he made a good cup of tea.

"we don't...have any kids or anything like that. do we?" i ask, chuckling nervously.

"no. not yet anyways." he shrugs, leaning forward to grab his mug.

my stomach churns and i nearly gag at the thought of carrying his child. or any child that didn't belong to spencer.

"you okay? you're looking a little green." he pouts, leaning forward and pushing the stray hairs out of my eyes.

"i'm kind of nauseous." i say, setting the mug back down onto the bedside table.

"doctor said you had a concussion, so i'd assume so." he says, brushing my hair back.