Chapter One

"I'm sorry mister Vantast but these scans are never wrong the third or first time. You do Indeed have Cancer." That two sentences, that one word brought his whole world crashing down. Cancer, I have fucking cancer. Karkat hides his face in his hands and thinks back through the day, how this could of happened.

He had told John, one of his few friends that he hasn't been feeling good. He said to him that his chest has been hurting and couldn't stop coughing till he passed out. John was concerned and told him to stop waiting and go see a doctor. Knowing John would of dragged him there if he didn't he went. Now he was being told he had lung cancer.

"I don't even fucking smoke. I'm not around smokers I don't understand." Karkat was to broken to curse and yell like he always does. What was the point when he was clearly being shown that it  now pointless. "Mister Vantas I also have to say the metastatic cancer has also been growing in your lungs."

Karkat looks up at him with a weird look, mostly likely confusion. "What is metastatic cancer exactly? What does it do?" Apparently the doctor was prepared for this as he shuffles through a few papers and hands one to Karkat. "Its a cancer that spreads from one part of the body to the next and can be very lethal like stage two lung cancer and above."

Karkat could only stare at the paper, wishing all this to be a dream. "You basically lit up like a Christmas tree when we scanned you. Anyway this needs to be treated as soon as possible if we want to get rid of it." The paper slides out of his hands and to the floor, shock just over taking him. "Where am I going to get that kind of money?"

"I am not sure mister Vantas but I'm positive that medicare can cover most of the expenses. Well you do have medicare right?" No he didn't, he didn't expect this to happen. He just started his life on his own, he wasn't expecting this to just appear out of the blue. "May I leave sir, I need some time to think on how I'm going to do this."

"Of course, let's go through some paper work and we will send you on out." The whole time Karkat was in a daze, not sure what to do anymore. He didn't know how he was going to get the money or the insurance to pay for the medical bills that come years later of the same damn treatment. Karkat went home once he was released from the hospital. He ignored his phone when he got home, no longer caring as he went to his room and shut the door softly.

Karkat laid on his bed and silently cried to himself, not sure what to do anymore. The doorbell downstairs rang but karkat didn't move. It kept going and going til karkat finally pulled himself up and out of bed to answer it.  He opened the door to find John and Jake standing there in the rain, nearly drenched. Karkat groans as he let's the two morons in knowing very well it was Johns idea and not Jakes.

"Karkat we have been trying to get ahold of you for hours what's going on?" Karkat sighs and growls softly. "I'm fin you fucktard I got home not to long ago and fell asleep." Jake rests a hands on Karkats shoulder and slightly smiles. "Its fine ol chap, how was your visit to the hospital? Find out what's been going on with your chest?"

Should karkat tell them or keep it to himself? He knows if he tells them they are gonna baby him and try to help him out and no longer really treat him the way he is. No they will treat them like a flower and karkat will not have that even if their his friends. "I'm fine you fuckasses just no more running around for me I guess just a bit of fucking weak lungs." He put a growl in to show them that he's fine but really inside he's dying slowly.

They leave after a couple hours just making sure he's fine. He forced himself to be as normal as possible when he felt like breaking down. He will try to figure something out for the treatments, he doesn't need his friends pity.