Chapter Eight

Dave went over to Karkats again for the fifth time this week. He knew that karkat had work but that didn't stop him from hanging out with his boyfriend or matesprite. Karkat was kind enough to give Dave a key to his place if he ever needed to get in or crash there for the night. Karkat liked it when Dave stayed the night. Those nights he is able to sleep without the trouble of coughing. Only a few times did Karkat wake up in a coughing fit around Dave,having to only taking it down stairs to the kitchen sink.

Karkat had thought that Dave was asleep that time but apparently not, he ended up asking about it but karkat brushed it off. He always brushed it off, always scared that Dave with leave him or treat him like a sick dying person then a real one. Dave was very confused though. Every time he tried to get closer to Karkat story wise he would push away. In truth it was starting to piss Dave off.

One day Dave finally snapped. They were watching a movie again, karkat having just gotten off his second shift. Dave made a sound that sounded like a sigh and looked at Karkat through his shades. Dave held up his hand and began to sign to Karkat who had been kind enough to learn sign language for his mute boyfriend. Kitkat babe we need to talk.

"What do you want to talk about?" I know you wake up sometimes in the middle of the night coughing your lungs up. Karkat tenses and slightly moves away from Dave. Karkat hear me out before absconding. I'm really worried about you babe, you hardly ever get sleep and you rush to the kitchen every time you have a coughing fit.

Babe I think that you should see a doctor about it. Karkat mumbled under his breath, barely audible. What you say KitKat? "I said I already fucking have you dipshit!" Dave flinched slightly at his tone, karkat getting up and heading into the kitchen.

Dave gets up and follows him reaching for his hand to stop him and turn him. If you already have then why didn't you say anything to me? "Drop it Dave I don't want to talk about it!" Karkat turned away again this time Dave got in front of him, getting in his face. Dave has had enough of being shut out and he was going to voice it rather Karkat liked it or not.

That's fucking enough karkat! I am sick and tired of you shutting me out of your life! I shared my life with you, I have trusted you with it!What the fuck are you so afraid of me knowing?! "CANCER!"

Karkat screamed at Dave right before breaking down in tears. He slid down the counter wall and onto the floor as he covered his face with his hands, body shaking. "I have fucking cancer." Dave just stared at Karkat for the longest time. "Go on leave! Treat me like a dying fucking fool and leave!"

Karkat felt the weight of someone wrapping their arm around his body making karkat look up. Dave was sitting on the ground with him, arms around karkat, holding him close. Babe are you afraid I'm going to leave you and treat you inhumanly because you have cancer? Karkat could only nod, wanting to pull away from Dave yet be close to his embrace. Kitkat I would never do that to you, I would never treat you like others have treated me.

No what I'm gonna do is help you and stick by you till the end, that's a promise. You don't have to be afraid of me leaving. I'm staying right here by your side. Karkat broke down even more at the words his matesprite signed. Wrapping his arms tight around him as they held one another close.

Dave had carried Karkat to bed that night, having cried himself to sleep. Dave was still in shock really, shocked and amazed. Amazed at the fact that even though Karkat is deathly sick he continues to work his ass off. Though Shocked at the fact that his boyfriend has Cancer. Dave couldn't really sleep that night, wondering how he was going to help karkat.

Wondering what to do to get the money for the right treatments and how he's going to keep it up till Karkat is cured. Though the one thing that crossed his mind the most was, if the treatment doesn't work on Karkat and he dies, how could he ever live without waking up to see karkats grumpy like face. How to wake up to no longer hearing his voice or commentary. How to live everyday for the rest of his life without karkat by his side. How to move on without the love of his life.