40

About a week had passed since the day at the arcade. Jaemin woke from his deep sleep to the feeling of Taeyong throwing himself on his bed and squeezing him in a massive hug.

"Happy birthday~" Taeyong sang in Jaemin's ear. "You're an adult now! Congrats!"

Jaemin flinched and cracked an eye open, startled by the unexpected noise and aggression that had attacked him. "Oh yeah, I am. Morning hyung," he yawned and hugged back lightly.

Taeyong frowned and sat up. "Is it my birthday or yours? So unenthusiastic... but I'll forgive you because you're probably still half asleep. You got any plans for today?" He asked, bouncing lightly on the bed and hugging the Ryan plush that was in the corner of Jaemin's bed.

Jaemin sat up and buffered for a few seconds, letting the blood rush from his head to the rest of his body. He rubbed his eyes and scratched at his chin, then looked at his phone. The time read 8AM. Would Jeno be awake? Jaemin thought. He had told Jeno a few days ago that his birthday was coming up, but wasn't sure if Jeno would remember.

"Not sure... What are you doing waking me up though?" Jaemin thought for a moment. "Did you... get me a present?" He batted his lashes expectedly.

"Of course!" Taeyong huffed. "It's a surprise though. I just came into your room because I was excited about your birthday."

Jaemin straightened his back. "When do I get it? Can I open it now?" He asked hopefully.

Taeyong laughed. "Do you want it now?" Jaemin nodded in response and Taeyong shook his head with a smirk. "In that case, I'll give it to you at the end of the day. See ya!" He tossed the Ryan plushie to Jaemin and headed to the door. "Happy birthday again, you're not allowed to make old jokes on me anymore 'cause we're both adults," Taeyong flashed a peace sign, then left Jaemin's room.

"You were still born in the 20th century," Jaemin retorted, which made Taeyong return to Jaemin's room for a second with a clenched fist. He threateningly raised his arm, then lowered it after a moment of consideration.

"You know what... I'm gonna be nice to you since it's your birthday. I'll be in my room if you need me!" Taeyong exited again and Jaemin waved back cheerfully before falling back onto his pillow. He checked his phone, seeing if anyone had sent him any birthday messages.

Chenle
[12:00] HAPPY BIRTHDAY BITCH

Chenle
[12:00] UR OLDDDD 🤮🤮

Chenle
[12:01] STILL LOVE U THO MWAH

Jaemin grinned. Since befriending Chenle, he was always the first one to send birthday messages. It was cute, despite the underlying roasts.

Jisung
[04:12] yooo chenle said its ur bday

Jisung
[04:12] imagine being an adult... cant relate

Jisung
[04:13] nonetheless :) happy birthday old man

Jisung was cute, but what was he doing up at 4am? Jaemin's mom instincts were about to kick in and retort with a lecture but he held it back because of the rare occasion.

Dad
[07:37] Happy birthday Jaemin! Have a great day today 😁

Jaemin's mood had lifted greatly from the birthday messages, and he replied to them all with a generous amount of keyboard emojis and hearts. He got out of bed, washed up, then dressed in something comfortable. Feeling refreshed, he bounced downstairs to where his mom was cooking breakfast.

"Happy birthday Jaemin," his mom sang as he entered the kitchen. "How's my birthday boy feeling today? Got any plans?"

"Not really," Jaemin thought. "I was thinking maybe I'd hang out with Jeno though I dunno if he's awake yet. He hasn't messaged me since last night."