Chapter 31: A night to remember

"Ugh, why now?" Hilda grumbled to herself. She took a closer look at her face in the mirror of her dressing table. She was dressed in a gorgeous, one-shoulder, white, silk dress. It moulded her torso beautifully, complimenting her feminine shape. Its single strap revealed her precious collarbone wrapped in smooth, luring, skin while hiding the other. She looked as stunning as ever, but there was just one problem- in the centre of her forehead was a round, red pimple.

"Hilda, what's taking you so long? We wouldn't want to be late for the Emperor's birthday party!" Hilbert called out to her from downstairs.

"Dude, what do you expect? Girls are always like this," Kye could be heard mumbling to Hilbert. Hilda rolled her eyes.

"Just a minute!" She yelled back to them. What to do, what to do? Her eyes scanned her dressing room table. It's too late to apply pimple cream, that's for sure. She looked back at the mirror. She brought down her fringe to cover the pimple. There, problem solved. They won't notice a thing.

"Sorry I kept you guys waiting," Hilda walked down the stairs to see Hilbert and Kye, both dressed in perfectly fitted suits, waiting for her. 

"Woah! Check out the new hairdo!" Kye pointed out.

"S-Shut up!" Hilda's face turned red.

"Hilda, you look great," Hilbert complimented her.

"Thanks, the both of you look amazing too. Now let's hurry to the palace!"

The Emperor's birthday party was a closed event, so not anyone was allowed into the palace tonight. "Name?" A guard at the palace gates asked with his eyes fixated onto the guest list. Before Hilbert could answer him, the guard saw the three youngsters and instantly recognised them. "Come right in!" the guard bowed in respect.

"Thank you," Hilda said, "are we late?"

"Oh no. Just in time actually. The party is about to start."

Hilbert, Hilda and Kye entered the palace. With the help of signboards, they were able to find their way to the palace's ballroom. Hilbert still couldn't wrap his head around how large the palace was, and that no matter how many times they have been here, there were still plenty of sections they were yet to see.

They stepped into a vast, magnificent ballroom that was lit by bright yellow lights on the walls and a large, crystal chandelier that was shaped like an upside-down Christmas tree. They were many large doors that were open, leading to a big balcony facing the sea. Two flights of steps met each other in the middle of a wall, leading to a stage.

Hilbert caught sight of a statue of King Eburo at the ballroom's centre. The atmosphere was packed with live orchestral music and the voices of hundreds of guests. All around Hilbert, Hilda and Kye were Odara's most prominent and wealthy people. The smell of roasted meat and buttered Clawitzer wafted into Hilbert's nostrils. He was beginning to feel saliva collect at the back of his tongue. Palace guards were standing ready beside the walls of the ballroom. All of them wore masquerade ball masks. Some of the guests were wearing it too.

"Darn it!" Hilda sighed when she saw the guests who were wearing masks.

"What's wrong?" Hilbert turned to her.

"I forgot my mask," she pouted.

"Hey, it's alright. Our invitation letter did say that bringing a mask was optional," Kye said to her. "If you need me, I'll be having a drink by that magnificent punch bowl," Kye was marvelling at the sight of a punch bowl that was big enough to qualify as a fountain. At its centre was an intricate ice sculpture of a Froslass and a Glaceon. Like an excited little child, Kye rushed off to it.