Shattered memories II

The sun hung lazily to the west, its golden rays splashed onto woodland fields. A wind blew by, rustling the trees. The pleasant tweeting of numerous Chatot filled the atmosphere.

"Florian!" Ripley called out. "Florian, don't stray too far. Come back," she said again, panting as she tried to catch up with the young boy.

"Sitting at home all day's sapped your stamina?" A guard chuckled, walking just behind her.

Ripley pouted at him and glanced back at her brother. "He isn't listening to me. Look at him!" she huffed.

"Florian!" The guard said in a commanding tone. "Come back now or you won't get any treats."

The little boy stopped what he was doing and looked at the guard with suspicious eyes. "Come here," Ripley took him by the hand and brought him back.

"What do you think. Pleasant spot, huh?" The guard spread out his arms.

"Mhm. This will do," Ripley nodded. The guard unpacked his bag and laid out a picnic mat onto the grass. They sat down and began munching on their sandwiches. This was Ripley's idea of quality time. With little to no friends and her father being busy all the time, having a picnic with her brother in the Odaran countryside was enough to make her day.

Half an hour went by as they lounged on their picnic mat- telling stories, jokes, and just relaxing under the setting sun. Minutes passed quickly in moments like these, and before they knew it they had to begin packing up soon. Dusk was coming.

"Alvy," Ripley nudged their guard who had fallen asleep. "Alvy, it's time to go."

"Maybe we should let Mr. Awvy west a little more," Florian suggested.

Ripley got down on one knee and faced her brother. "We can't. It's getting dark and papa will be worried if we don't get back soon. Tsk," she brushed away part of his hair and saw chocolate stains on his cheek. "You're always so messy!" She said. She wiped the chocolate away and licked it off her finger.

"My chocwate!" Florian grumbled.

"Yeah? What are you gonna do about it?" She giggled teasingly. She then pretended to bite Florian on the ear over and over, tickling him and making him giggle. Then, something caught Ripley's eye. An Elegent-patterned Vivillion was calmly fluttering near the trees. Ripley stopped what she was doing and her heart beat faster. She has heard about this Pokemon and the beautiful patterns they come in. The Elegent Vivillion was as gorgeous as ever, its purple wings glittering in the light of the setting sun, mesmerizing her like a magpie to a jewel- if such a bird existed in her world.

"Oh no," the words escaped her lips as the Pokemon fluttered into the woods. "Florian," she turned to her brother, "you're right. We should let Mr. Alvy rest for a little longer."

"But... you said we have to go home soon," Florian murmured, looking confused.

"Yeah, I know. But I just saw a pretty Pokemon and I want to catch it. Do you want to see a pretty Pokemon?" Ripley beamed. Florian smiled and nodded his head gleefully.

"Okay, but shh," Ripley placed a finger on her lips. "We mustn't wake Mr. Alvy yet. Ok?"
Florian crossed his arms, smiled and nodded.

"C'mon then. I hope we haven't lost it," Ripley said as she held Florian's hand. They silently crept away. Ripley glanced back at their guard. He didn't look like he was going to wake up anytime soon. She walked through the treeline the Vivillion disappeared into, one hand guiding Florian, the other, a Pokeball at the ready.

The shadows around them grew bigger as the minutes passed. But Ripley thought that if she squinted hard enough, she would see well enough through the darkened foliage. Finally, she saw a glittery purple wing flapping behind a few trees that weren't too far away. "There it is!" Ripley gasped. She pointed excitedly at it, "Florian, look!"