two

"Peach" –Broods

Warmth spread throughout Adam.

       It could have been his body healing or the mate bond. Adam wished for the latter. His heavy eyelids opened to find it dark in the cabin, but the fire was in full bloom.

       Yet, at the end of the couch, by his feet, was a small television playing an old cartoon that, to Adam, was unrecognizable.

       To his right, the medkit and bucket of boiling water were gone, but the copper cup on the coffee table was filled with water once again. Beside it, two small blue pills taunted him. Adam shook his head at the sight of them.

       Not falling for that again, Adam thought.

       He placed his sight elsewhere, down at his still healing chest wrapped in gauze, with no blood in sight. Adam's skin was washed of blood and dirt, a handmade blanket was thrown over the top of him.

       Looking back to the right, his mate was found huddled under a blanket of her own, knitting while watching the cartoon intently. He noticed the brown coat she wore before was off, along with the large boots. The dog continued to sleep in its makeshift bed on the other side of the small living room.

       Adam watched his mate for a short while since she hadn't noticed him awake.

       This made him take advantage, as he was then able to watch her closely as the small woman eyeballed the movie and knit blindly.

       Quickly as if there was a deadline to get the thing done.

       A couple of times, she would set down her project to take a sip of whatever was in the white mug.

       It wasn't coffee, but it wasn't tea either.

       "I thought only old ladies knit," Adam said aloud with a deep rumble.

       His mate jumped in fright, closing her eyes for a moment before reopening them, turning her head painfully slow towards Adam with a glare like no other. She tossed the knitting needles and yarn attached to it in a basket that rested under the coffee table.

       The woman stood from her spot on the floor, the blanket falling at her fuzzy, socked-covered feet, before she strode over to him in a way that made Adam hold his breath.

       Her hands reached out toward Adam slowly when suddenly two fingers were on his neck, the back of her hand on his forehead. She was checking for a temperature.

       Adam released the breath he didn't know he was holding when she raised herself from above him. She then turned to the coffee table, grabbed the two pills and water, and shoved them into his chest.

       "Oh, no way. I'm not doin' that again. Who knows what those pills will do to me–" He's stopped short when she pressed a slightly chubby finger onto his wound.

      A harsh roar left him, "Fine! Have it your way, mate."

       She gave him the same small smile he had received earlier, taking the pills and cup the best he could from her since the drugs from before still had his body feeling drowsy and weak.

       His mate waited until he finished the whole cup before taking it from him, walking out of the room. Adam waited a few minutes before she reentered with the same cup and a bowl of steaming soup.

      The curvaceous then set both dishes on the coffee table before helping him sit up. The second she touched his arm, the feeling of overwhelming warmth filled his entire being.