04 • a read a day keeps the darkness away

Pardon the title. I just needed to get your attention, dearest reader.

Now imagine this...

You're an aspiring writer and is working on your first ever book in Wattpad. You publish the first chapter, even making an announcement about it. Then you wait for your readers, patiently.

But at the back of your mind, you know it won't be that easy. For God's sake, you have 0 followers--I mean 1 (which is the other account you made. Yeah, call it pathetic).

If only your friends knew about your writing account, then you would have like 4 more. Alas, you were too insecure about your work. And you know, it's nice to have a thing only you know of.

What can you do?

It's simple: Read the book of others.

Pfft yeah, I've been doing that since I started using Wattpad. I mean, it's the reason I made an account at the first place!!! Are you kidding me--

Bro, chill out. I'll be more specific this time. When I said 'others', I meant the ones who are say, less discovered. (No offense and whatever).

This is pretty much common sense, and It literally just took me a month or something to realize this. Oh and believe me, this is proven.

Oh my god I can't believe I'm sharing all my deepest darkest secrets here. You don't hate me for that, do you?

Let me elaborate. But first, let's go back to our character, shall we?

A week passes, while your read count still stays at 6 (which you're pretty sure was yourself reading your own book). Oh and don't forget the 2 votes (by yours truly).

Then out of the blue, your vote count changes. 3 votes, we should celebrate!!! 10 reads. 4 fucking comments. Oh my God I could die.

'Your writing style is amazing, I'm sure you'll be a great writer one day!'

'Woah.'

'I like this line.'

'Update ASAP!!!'

Your stomach does backflips, and I you couldn't stop smiling all day long. But wait, who was it anyway?

Fingers tingling in excitement, you go to your notifications and clicks on the profile, then decides to write on their message board: "Hey!! Thank you so so much for the vote and comments, you're literally the first one who did that ^_^ You just made my day and I appreciate it very much. Hope you're enjoying my story just as I am writing it, oh I'll update as soon as I can ♥️♥️♥️♥️"

You post it, just as something catches your eye.

Works: 1

Oh God. This book looks so interesting, maybe I should give it a try. It's another way of saying thanks, I guess. Now, let's give him some votes and comments..

And while you're binge-reading the book, you don't know that in the apartment across yours, a guy is clicking on random books, giving random votes, and you guessed it, random comments.

Smart. Or is it?

This tactic is a good one, but it also has its faults (clingy people, spam messages, shifty readers, etc.)

So, what can you accomplish by doing this?

- More followers
- More reads
- More votes
- More friends..?

What should you avoid?

- Don't be too random like that guy up there. Oh and don't read too many books continuously because it's going to backfire, trust me (your followers can see what you're doing, be careful).

Oh and while you're at it, add the books that you really enjoyed in your reading lists. That way you can continue reading them and they'll appreciate it too.

That's it. Understand the title now? Congratulations.